Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Nancy Pelosi and Pelosi Air

You have never seen a political blog written by me, because I am not a political person, nor am I a big believer in the political process. Furthermore, I am not even sure that Christians should be involved in the political quagmire of the modern world. Yet if you are one of the Family that follows political issues and hoopla, then you are probably aware that Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi has demanded that she and her staff and her family and the entire Northern California delegation have access anytime to military aircraft that can fly her to San Fran non-stop on request. This created quite a political quagmire for the first female Speaker of the House. One blogger called it Air Force To Become Pelosi Air (here).

So imagine my surprise when she walked right past me while I was sitting in Ronald Reagan Airport Friday! Ms. Peloski passed within 5 feet of me with some of her staff members, catching a commercial flight out of DCA! Good for her . . . flying with the masses is good for her, as it is good for any public servant. In other countries, the PRESIDENTS fly on regular commercial aircraft. In the Hairy Armpit, I flew at least twice with the former president (before he was killed) Boris Trajkovski to Western Europe.

Now these chance close encounters with powerful people are not all that important. They seem important, because of the power they wield in the modern world, yet the reality is that my prayers to the Living God each day are far more important, as it is clear and obvious, HE is far more powerful than they. Not only that, He is far more accessible than politicians. I once was planning to talk to President Trajkovski, but his 900 gorilla of a bodyguard quelled that clever thought of mine! So even though I was sitting five feet from him for two hours, he could have been on the other side of the planet in terms of my potential to have a conversation.

Thus proximity does not necessarily equal access. Yet, we have the best of both worlds with our Father, access and closeness all at the same time . . . I think I am giving up on politicians and staying with Him, the sure thing.

2 comments:

Lv2Hike said...

David, David. You are mistaken. That wasn't REALLY Nancy Pelosi. That was her decoy-double! ;)

Heather said...

Praise the Lord HE is completely available, 24/7. I have never gotten the whole "I was close to (some famous person)" thing but how awesome to able to be close to God without fear of anyone getting in our way. (I don't do politics either--though my husband does and would get a kick out of this post.)