Thursday, March 08, 2007

15 mk's sleeping in the airport

There are places to stay in this world and I have been in most of them at least once. Hotels so bad that I actually wore all my clothes to bed because I was afraid of what slept there last and because of a deep certainty that the sheets had not been wash recently. I have stayed in places where the host and hostess gave up their bed for me, and although that meant that I slept on a wood slat bed (with no mattress or blanket) it meant that they slept on the floor. I have slept where the host insisted I keep the German Shepherd with me, in order to have some extra protection. I have slept in airports with 15 elementary-aged MK’s while their parents were frantically waiting all night at the other end of the trip. The mk’s and I were sleeping in some kind of nursery, so the bed was only long enough for me to have half my body on it at once.

This week while in Butler PA, we have been staying in this historic log cabin in the photo. As you can see, it’s the real deal! But it also has an ultra modern addition built on to the back and so it is the best of both worlds. Often churches will do stuff like this, put the missionary up in the most amazing homes, I guess to be a contrast to where we normally live. And mind you, Brenda and I are enjoying the amenities of this completely, we aren’t fools! Hear me loud and clear! We are enjoying ourselves! We head back the hairy armpit soon enough.




On the other hand, I have realized something while on this trip. The amazing beauty of this home and what that represents does not impress me. (this is new for me) It’s comfortable and luxurious to be sure, but I am a bit disturbed by how much everyone wishes to hear us say it’s awesome. Do you know what I mean? If they were only wishing for me to be properly awed and grateful that I get to stay here, that is one thing. But there is envy and longing attached to most people’s comments about this home and some of the other amazing places we have visited while on this trip. And that is what is disturbing.

It is one more rope tying me to this world, making this my home, rather than eternity. One side of me says, “lighten up Aderholdt!” and I agree that some people can hold such blessings with no possessiveness at all. But the practical side of me says not many of us can. As I wrote in Decor Consciousness last week, our earthly homes have become something with which we are obsessed, and we rationalize this addiction away by framing it in an “investment” context. Possessiveness is not OK, investments (being a good steward) is OK in most people’s mind.

I am not judging anyone, but sometimes it is easier to see some things when you have been away for a long time, and I for one, don’t want to hold on to anything in this world that will take my eyes off of Christ and Him crucified = the Kingdom to which we belong. It’s getting harder and harder to say, “this world is not my home”.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey David,

Greetings from Neighborhood Church, Brentwood.

It shouldn't be difficult for Christians to avoid the problem you raise about materialism, as long as we keep our priorities straight inside — keep our hand in God's hand.

I talk specifically about this in one of my Daybook entries. Check out http://donhuntington.com/Gratitude/09.htm#09, if you get a chance.

That's the truth, man!

Patricia said...

You're right - not many of us can hold without possessing...and eventually being possessed.

The tension between settling/providing (Jer 29 and Prov 31, among many others) and kingdom realities (Mary/Martha and Matt 6)is a tough one. I'm sure I regularly swing to one side and then the other on that balance...but hopefully closer to the center each time.

May God give us wisdom as we find our true needs met in Him.
And hurry back! We all miss you two over here. :-)