Wednesday, March 14, 2007

a broken neck, delayed dreams

Two agonizing months of waiting specifically for this moment. I am not known for my patience to begin with, but especially for something of this nature. So I finally finished tour, and it’s on my birthday of all days! I get up at 5:00 am. Speak all morning in church, lunch with pastor and friends, catch a flight to Atlanta, grab a rental car, get daughter, drive to parents house, and immediately open the package.

The package was a custom made guitar . . . a fine gift from a CMA fellow in New Mexico. So the whole family gets into it and helps me get the fine fellow out of the package! It took some work, because it was so well packed. Once we got it out of the awesome packaging, I quickly laid it down on the floor and opened the case.

It took at least a full five minutes to recognize that the guitar was broken. I thought at first, that the creator had simply shipped it loose, in order to protect it from damage . . . but then I began to suspect it was damaged . . . and then over the next 15 minutes the dread deep in my stomach began to churn some serious acid. The guitar’s neck was clearly broken.

I took these pictures right away for insurance purpose, and then the next morning as we disassembled this is what it looked like . . . shattered. The guy who built it was super cool . . . we talked on the phone, and he wants it back, and he can rebuild it and I can get it in May.













But I gotta tell you, I have felt sick for the last two days. This is the bitter taste of disappointment. Sharper than I have felt it in many years. I have to admit that I am vastly disappointed in this delay, and I am even more disappointed in myself.

It is a shame that I can feel such a sharp sense of pain over a thing. Mind you a beautiful wonderful superb piece of workmanship that I so desperately want to get my hands on and play . . . but in the end, still a thing . . . and the disappointment of all disappointments is that I can care so deeply about a thing and some days have a hard time caring nearly this much about people. How does one fight against being possessed by possessions? How does one balance a keen appreciation for excellence and workmanship, with a thing’s eternal value? I am pondering these things as I examine my heart.

4 comments:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I'm purchasing a painting right now that costs more than anything I own personally. I've thought in passing, this money could be used for ministry, for people, etc, but in the end, I just want the painting. It's lovely, it represents the dreams I've had and still have, it blesses the artist that I think so highly of his work. There's always another person, another work, another opportunity-it's not wrong to want beauty in your life and bless the creator (Creator) by wanting.

Steve E said...

That is really a shame! I was looking forward to hearing how that all turned out. Proverbs says, hope deferred makes the heart sick - that sure holds true in this situation!

Bernie said...

David,

I feel like you posted pictures of body parts. I feel for you man. I brought my Martin to Mongolia with fear and trembling, and I can tell you what a relief it was to open the case upon arrival to find everything intact.

I do hope it is resolved more swiftly that you expect.

John Byrne said...

I also play and love a beautiful sounding guitar. I feel your pain.

Let me encourage you this way. Sometimes when we have something so intricately made it not only holds value because of the craftmanship, but because it is difficult (sometimes impossible) to replace. It is a thing, but one that is hard to replace.

Now go love some people!!