Thursday, March 01, 2007

decor consciousness


I was quietly enjoying my sweaty workout. It was early morning in the rec room, and I was the only person in the room, pedaling away . . . when she came in. She took charge of the room. She turned on a tornado strength fan to get the air moving in the room, and she turned on the TV . . . loudly! And she turned it on to a channel that I never knew existed . . . something like Country Living TV or some show like that . . . long story short, it was showcasing home after amazing home.

This is a phenomena of modern America that I have never seen before. Crafts and color coordination out the wazoo! It is the ultimate in self expression. Even pastors have to be conscious of these factors in ministry to American gals . . . if you are not decor conscious then you are nobody!

People are so into the ambiance of their homes, stores, restaurants and churches that from my silly position as a missionary, it is an apparent case of the tag wagging the dog. Production and efficiency has given way to style and personal preferences. I wonder what larger implications this has for the church?

Mind you, I love a good atmosphere as much as the next person, and way more than the average guy:-) This is a great feel-good process and the results are pleasing to the senses. On the other hand, I worry a bit that I am just making the Gospel less painful, less harsh, less bitter, less difficult and most of all just lessening the focus on the Gospel, and instead making it more about me.

So while one side of me wants to be decor conscious and thoughtful about ambiance, the Gospel still initially rips life, before it repairs it and makes it whole. I am not sure decor consciousness is the right vehicle in the modern world to make a stable bridge to the gospel and all the implications of it, but this sure is a pretty room.

No comments: