Friday, January 12, 2007

We are the champions!

I think I have generated enough flame-producing blogs this week, so I thought perhaps I should try for something safe? Nah. Who wants safe? And I think I have written enough blogs this week that are threatening to those people I genuinely like, so I thought that I would explain to you that we are the champions. "We" meaning the CMA . . . "champions" meaning in the area of our official workers.

About three months ago, we had an opportunity drop out of heaven to plant/begin/lead an International Church. You can see our beginning efforts here. It was the most instant church I have ever been a part of, and Brenda and I have planted several . . . in different countries no less. But this was instant church. Of course our travel schedules do not lend to us being here every week . . . that is not how ministry happens in a regional approach. So I began to look for others to assist us in leading this congregation in various ways. I actually had/have fairly low expectations and requirements . . . I am pretty big on the priesthood of all believers . . . and I have been shockingly disappointed in who other organizations send to this part of the world!

Just about the only people who met my minimal requirements for leadership involvement in this new congregation were our CMA team members! And of course our CMA personnel are way over qualified compared to others. We are simply the champions. The CMA sends out the best people, the most experienced people, to most trained people, the most educated people and the most well rounded people of any organization. That is a big statement, but I believe that the last three months have taught me that if nothing else.

Missions organizations have requirements . . . but few they be I have discovered, in most organizations. Let me tell you how this has worked out. Three months ago I could have named you perhaps five missionaries total in the country that I work in . . . now I know over 45! The International Church has had what we call a "missionary ghetto" effect. These people come in waves some Sundays (not every Sunday) to participate in our English worship, and hear an English message. At first I was thrilled that these folks were coming, because I thought I could recruit some leadership folks (with my minimal requirements remember) from among them. And that is when I discovered the most amazing truth. Almost none of them have theological training (though they are giving it to others), almost none of them are ordained (which means that their parent organization or church has not recognized them as being set aside by God for ministry) and most importantly, only one out of the entire bunch has ever pastored a church in North America! Your CMA team excepted of course, because all three of these minimal requirements, are true of all CMA personnel here in the Hairy Armpit! But how can Missional Organizations expect to plant churches with people who don't understand how a church functions in the beginning? But that is exactly what most of these 45 missionaries are trying to do in the Hairy Armpit! Amazing!

Frankly I do not know what I would have done (besides quit immediately, and I still may) without our CMA team here, our Field Director especially. Just the insight and understanding that comes from having been a pastor is priceless when you are given an instant church to lead! The CMA sends out the best and the brightest, and I really appreciate this aspect of our organization . . . now more than ever! We are the champions in terms of personnel. I see this in my CMA co-workers on other Fields as well. I always have to stay on my toes with them, because most of them are smarter and wiser than I am. I learn so much from them each time I have the opportunity to work with them on a team or cross-pollinate with them at a transition point in the boarding school cycle. Thank you Lord for the CMA! Now I wonder . . . can the best become better?

3 comments:

Joan said...

David, I enjoyed your glowing account of C&MA official workers. It is nearly 7 years since I've been working at the NO and attending an Alliance church. Never have I seen the focus, the passion nor the vision for completing the Great Commission like I have as a member of the Alliance family. I once told a VP during Council that I was a bit envious of those who have been a part of this great body for so long. There is a rich heritage, and Council is like a big family reunion, figuratively and literally. I've been to numerous churches of varying denominations and worked for a major parachurch organization. The Alliance has them all beat. I'm grateful and privileged to be a part of the Alliance family. That is why I'm going through the MSP program to be "consecrated" (instead of ordained, one of my few pet peeves with the Alliance). Not so much for the title but for the education, the interaction with people I highly respect and the credibility in the Alliance to carry out ministry no matter where God leads me. We are the champions; but it is to His glory, not ours!

Patricia said...

I know we can become much better...lead on.

Patricia said...

I've been thinking about your blog here for a while...and I do think we can become a better organization. I also think I can become a better worker. One of the things I admire in our under-trained co-workers from other groups is having a focus and passion that doesn't die. One reason they're under-trained is that they just wanted to get here and DO. Now, we may think there are better ways to accomplish what they want to (which is why it's good we're all here together and can rub off on each other)...but I do admire their hearts, and the fact that they are here. Hopefully in my own rational training and formal preparation, my calling hasn't mutated into just a career...theirs certainly haven't.