Monday, January 29, 2007

the little drummer girl


She wants to be a drummer. She wants to be a drummer in our worship band. She is 13 years old, barely. She is smart and sassy, with the endless optimism of youth. Finally she wrangled an audition out of me. So today we are got together and I played out the Sunday set and she has only one problem really that I can see . . . she seems to have no rhythm.

Now a drummer with no rhythm is a problem. It is the underlying talent in playing the drums. Can you teach rhythm? Well I tried a bit today (we will see if she improves), and told her that keeping a rock steady beat through the entire song is what I need more than anything else. It is the primary service of a drummer. Flash and cymbals I can live without, but someone to keep us at a steady pace . . . that would enhance our whole performance significantly.

Driving home (in a hurry since I have guests coming and Brenda is out of town, I am cooking) I was thinking that God pretty much seeks the same thing from me, that I seek in the new drummer chick, a steady pace, an unwavering heartbeat for the King and the Kingdom. Now to wonder, . . . do I have rhythm?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Dude, you got the rhythm, the Worship Leader already has your number.