Saturday, July 08, 2006

minarets and independence day

Today Heidi and I climbed to the top of a minaret on the Muslim side of the city. The mosque was beautiful and peaceful. Although this was true, the climb up into the minaret was difficult. It of course had a circular staircase (no elevator) that went on for what seemed like forever. My legs were pumping with blood by the time I got to the top.

Here is a photo I took from the top of the minaret.


The most interesting thing on top of the minaret was the huge loudspeaker, which calls the faithful to prayer five times a day. Yesterday was Independence day. There is not much independence in the Muslim faith it seems, and at the same time too much in the Christian faith. Islam seems to control every aspect of a "good" Muslim's life. But according to the statistics that I have seen, the church and the those outside of the church, have the same exact challenges. I wonder why Christianity has evolved into a Faith that allows one to do almost anything in the name of freedom? I wonder why we are just amazed that Muslims pray five times a day; don't you? And many days far more than five times a day.

Our independence from rules and regulations is a great gift from God, but it is to allow us more of everything with Him, not less with Him. I need to remember that everyday.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Stunningly beautiful photo, thanks for sharing.