Sunday, July 09, 2006

I should have bought a lottery ticket

There would have been a very very high chance of winning. Much better than the statistics of what happened this morning. Heidi is on her way to an MK re-entry seminar in California, and soon I will be on my way to settle her in for college. Unfortunately for both of us, our beginning ticket is with a highly irregular carrier known as Cirrus Airlines. Mind you, they were not all that irregular when we bought the tickets months and months ago. In fact I have successfully flown with them about a dozen times. But now, they generally leave 3-6 hours LATE everyday,(when they do not cancel the flight entirely), causing virtually everyone to miss their connections to somewhere else in the world from Frankfurt.

So being the careful planners that we are as Westerners, and not wanting my college freshman daughter to be stuck in Frankfurt for 24 hours in the airport, we went and had some talks with Cirrus and Lufthansa on Friday and got Heidi switched to a day later flight out of Frankfurt, with Lufthansa picking up the tab for a hotel for her to overnight., because everyone agreed, there was no way that she was going to make her connection in Frankfurt . . . yet . . . the flight left on time.

I should have bought a lottery ticket. The chances were greater that I would win a million Euros, than that this flight would leave on time. Both Cirrus and Lufthansa agreed . . . they gave Heidi a new day to fly and a hotel room without a whimper, because there was no chance in heaven or hades that this flight would leave in time for her to make her connection . . . yet it did. Only the second time in 34 days that it left on time, but it did.

Who would have thought? Now I do not know if she is in the hotel in Frankfurt, or if she is actually on the plane to LAX. Hopefully I will hear something later today and know, but as of right at this moment, I have no idea.

Not many things are dependable in this world, the airlines least of all. At least God doesn’t change His mind, character or promises. That we can hold on to with a firm grip. But I still should have bought a lottery ticket . . . it would have been a large boost to the GCF.

1 comment:

Beth said...

How great that you can have a sense of humor about all this! Now I more fully understand your comment on the phone about not knowing where she might have spent the day.

I'm certain the GCF would be happy to receive a lotto payoff . . . ??!!? LOL!