Thursday, July 20, 2006

god was returning

In the middle of Brenda's sermonette, i was certain that God was returning. There have not been many times in my life when I thought that the second coming was happening in this present moment, but Sunday evening in a new church we had never attended, I indeed thought that Jesus was coming from the East with all the angels of heaven . . . but in the end it was only a train.

Mind you a train whose tracks ran RIGHT BESIDE the church! I almost had a heart attack. Clearly no one else was impressed, so one can safely assume that this was a typical occurrence for the church regulars. In fact when the train came back from the West some 10 minutes later, I noticed that the person speaking at that time simply stopped and waited for the train and trumpeting roar to subside.

I was/am looking forward to the return of Christ, though I found myself anxious about the actual experience. You would think after living in four different countries, in 12 different cities that new experiences would not faze me at all. While I have enough self confidence to fill Noah's Ark, there are still regular knee-knocking moments in life. Even speaking before people still makes me shake a bit - although I have been doing it professionally for 25 years. Go figure.

I wonder what the key is to having this knee-knocking excitement about God and His stuff? Confession is in order that often my spiritual life is centered more in discipline rather than excitement. It is comfortable more than discomforting. It is quiet more than energizing. And it is far too often personal rather than public.

Something has gone haywire with a Faith that is no longer earth-shattering. Can such a Faith save anyone? I think we need to feel the earth move under our feet, and the heavens open up and rain down the presence of the Living God. It's good to be reminded that God is indeed coming back and then I (and you) will face the consequences of this life. I'm excited!

2 comments:

Beth said...

You know what excites me right now??? That's one trip I don't have to pack for!

Hey, love your new Fam photo but also wanted to say the Doctoral Robin Williams look was fun as well! :-)

Guess you're transitioning from Biker to PhD to World Class Dad, huh?

Dr. D's Diagnosis said...

Naw I am not transitioning . . . I am just all three of those people already :-) Have a good one in GA and way at my folks as you pass them. D