Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Politics

This is a blog about politics. A blog about the Church and her obsession with politics. A blog about the Church that spends far more emotional energy, money and effort on politics than on world evangelization or church planting or the lost.

The reality is that we Evangelicals far more want to shape society with more laws and with political influence, rather than rub shoulders with old fashioned pagans and be Christ to them. As one good friend said to me today “
Do you think we will ever learn in America that politics is not the answer and that we are not going to change the world by making more laws?” Alan said it all right there.

We want to legislate holiness and morality, both inside the church and outside. We are insolationists and isolationists. Culture and the world are tainted . . . well yes they are, and that is why they desperately need a little Salt. What they do not need are more laws nor political-religiosity.

I can’t recall a single verse in Scripture that encourages the slightest political ambition in the Body of Christ. No verses about legislating holiness via Federal laws nor verses about supporting one party over another. But there is that verse that calls us to prayer. “Pray for those in authority over you” (Dr.D’s loosey goosey translation). We have been given a mandate to pray, not stump for our political party. We are a spiritual party not a political one.

As I recall, the First Century Palestine Jews were expecting a Messiah to come and be their political answer for the challenges of their world. Jesus didn’t and does play that game. He wants me to BE salt and light, not VOTE for salt and light. The politic method of spirituality is a cop-out and a short cut to what we are called to be. The parallels between our society and first century Palestine are scary.

Am I against politics? Do I think it wrong to vote and be involved in the political process? Do I think my vote is nearly as powerful as the God I pray to? No, no and no.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

David, great stuff for election day in America.

Beth said...

Dr. D - great blog all except the inclusion of Pastor Ted's name - he invested most of his energy on world evangeliziation, church planting and the lost, on rubbing shoulders with old fashioned pagans and being Christ to them. He excelled in all those things. He also encouraged our involvement with our political system and to BE salt and light which I do think has to include VOTING salt and light. Of course politics isn't the answer but Bill Clinton got elected because too many Christians stayed home from the polls. God didn't allow it - we did. And we deserved what we got.

Dr. D's Diagnosis said...

You are right Beth, and so I have removed his name from the title. (I hope this works out on the CMA website) I did not realize that it was election day in the states, but I did write the blog because of all the emails that I am getting from folks about Ted Haggard.

On the other hand, I totally disagree with you (don't I always :-)) on your last point. Bill Clinton was God's tool as all authorities are, and God did allow it. I do not have any idea what God's purpose was, but I am convinced that rulers and authorities are particularly His purview. But that is MY diagnosis, you are perfectly free to disagree with me, and we will remain friends :-)

Beth said...

Bless you. That's cool, and thanks for editing your title :-)