Friday, November 17, 2006

crowding God out

Do we crowd God out? Do we have such powerful skills and words and strategies that we crowd God out? Have we educated God out of our hearts? Whatever happened to signs and wonders? Where is God? Do we converse people into Faith? IF we talk people into being saved, into receiving Christ, don’t we then have to keep convincing them? Do we have a theology for the supernatural? Is there room for God to show up all?

Guy Phanz was asking questions like these to our missionaries. That first question is just a killer for me. With all my skills, education, experience, polish, practice, gifts and such . . . it is more than easy to crowd God out. In fact, it would be quite easy to not need God at all! What a horrifying thought! But the more I think about it the more certain I am that it can happen. There are many out there with far more of everything than I have . . . far more gifts, skills, education, experience, and if I can crowd God out, their temptation to do the same must be all the more difficult.

So how can I be certain that I am not crowding God out . . . at any step along the way? Should I pray more and prepare less? Should I turn my degrees back into the schools that issued them to me and read the KJV from now on? Should I return to the roots of my childhood and stand before the congregation in two days with nothing prepared and just say what comes to my mind and call it holy? I think not . . . no, no and no.

I think preparation is good . . . at the very very least it is a way that God consistently changes me. I think planning has a place too . . . chaos never helped anyone see God. Yet, I want more . . . of God . . . in all that happens. Lord Jesus help me find the way! I way to see Him work and intervene and be with His people, His children and I never want to crowd Him out. But frankly our whole structure of church thingy might be more of a roadblock than a help? You gotta believe God wants this even more than we do . . . or our theology is nothing more than quicksand.

1 comment:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I guess I think of the Apostle Paul, who had everything in terms of spiritual pedigree before the road to Damascus. After that he possessed knowledge of Christ and the brokenness to use that pedigree. It isn't what we know or don't know. It's how much of it we surrender and let the Lord break into bread for His use through us. The more we know the more He can use if we're willing to hand it over.

I think confidence in God's assurance that He actually does use us and our gifts should be the motivating factor to use them and increase them. I feel it is absolutely wonderful to speak to a new believer or someone questioning with the confidence of a lifetime of God's faithfulness behind us. Seems like the longer I live, the less confidence I have in myself apart from the Spirit to do anything. So often He moves in ways I would never have thought about and has such a greater plan than my small mind could conceive of.