Thursday, November 09, 2006

the fishyness of Italy

I get a bit weary because everyone tells me how lucky I am to get to go Europe. Someone just said to me, “Oh I have always wanted to go to Italy, I am so jealous!” Well I have spent the last two days driving through Italy, and you can have it. Brenda and I speak 1.5 words between the two of us in Italian, and last night’s dinner proves it.

It was an exhausting day, stuck in Milano for over 2 hours in stand-still traffic, and I was sick with weariness. Finally we got outside of Milano and at last found a hotel to stay in for the night . . . and I was starving for a REAL Italian pizza! They are always super thin and yummy. So Brenda and I walked to the pizzeria near the hotel and sat down and ordered (e.g. point and smile) pizza’s.

In about 8 minutes they were ready and we started scarfing them down right away, we were so hungry, not having eaten any lunch and now it is almost 9:00 pm! I hit it about the third bite, Brenda hit hers on the fourth bite . . . anchovies!! Uuuurgh. We both, unintentionally, ordered pizzas with anchovies on them. Ye gads!

You can have Italy, or any other country where I can’t speak the local language and can’t figure out what I am ordering.

No comments: