Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Human knots

Today’s tasks was to untangle the human knots I had them form in class. I will include a couple of photos for you. The change in the group in the last three days has been amazing. The first day there was high frustration and yelling and hurt feelings. Contrast that with today where there was negotiation, cohesiveness and listening. It seems that these team building skills are working.





Unfortunately the knots in me and relationships around me don’t work out as easily. In the sermon on the Mount, Jesus says “Blessed are the peacemakers.” We usually think of this as people who are peaceFUL. They have peace and in that is the virtue we think. But we are to make peace. To be at peace with all men. This even sounds passive, but in reality, I can think of no more vigorous work than making peace. To be a peace-child or a child of peace is sacrificial work and effort.

But if I am to unknot my soul and my relationships, how can I not make peace? God’s Kingdom is one of peace. Read James again if you disbelieve me . . . chapter one and four are brutal on those who would wage war.

It is hard to suffer for other people, let alone die for them . . . yet that is what God calls us to. Why am I so resistant to that? Am I Christ's disciple or not? Life can be filled with human knots, real one's, not the kind that I created in class to make a point. There is clearly no option here . . . we have to work through it, no matter the personal costs.

1 comment:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

You bring up a very good distinction here between being a peace-maker and a peace-keeper. It has taken me a long, long time to understand how much damage a peace-keeper can cause. The issue here, I believe, is truth. Truth is divisive at times, and I hate confrontation. But confrontation rooted in the truth, spoken with the object of the best good for everyone, gets the job done. You're right that behind it is self-sacrificing love, a love that can stand angry tempers and injury to follow through with it's intented purpose.