Wednesday, August 30, 2006

pain beauty and wonder

Yes sir, all three, at the same time. Pain first and because it is the most raw. Up at 4:25 this morning for my least favorite day out of the whole year . . . kids back-to-boarding-school-time, for four months :-( What a complete pain in the gunnar. Just ain’t no way to see it otherwise.

Beauty. Well needless to say, the ride home from the airport this morning was less than a cheerful affair. I was thinking to myself, “Hey Aderholdt, why can’t you get like a normal job?” and in general hating what I had just done and thinking about how I might could undo it . . . when in the Western sky appears a rainbow. No rain, although there were some clouds, it was like the most unlikely event you could imagine at that moment. God trying to cheer me up I guess . . . it sure was beautiful.

Wonder. Today is, on top of all these other things, our 20th Anniversary. Got to have a sense of wonder about that . . . Brenda staying with me 20 years! Amazing. We have to be the most unlikely couple on the entire planet. She is the sweetest thing. Literally, in 20 years of marriage I have only met 2 people that did not like her and most people think she is the fourth person of the Trinity. Me, well I am the saltiest of the salty dogs, snowboarding, scuba-diving, earring wearing guy out there on the edge. She could star in a Little House on the Prairie flick, and be the old fashioned one even in that time period. I could star in the Fifth Element and seem a little futuristic even in that time period . . . how the two of us got married and stayed married is entrancing. It gives you a sense of wonder about what love can do and does.

Now we gotta get in the car and drive three hours south and do a youth camp for the next three days! Are we crazy or what? Some anniversary gift huh? I will blog about it when we get back Saturday evening.

1 comment:

Beth said...

You guys are amazing on all counts. Thanks for posting this.