Tuesday, August 01, 2006

old times there are not forgot

Origins. Roots. History. All of us have these shapers in our lives. Some may be terrible, some may be wonderful and of course there are thousands of levels in between the two. But our beginnings often have the most powerful impact on both our journey in life and our destinations. As I am getting Heidi settled into college and we are visiting some of the places of my childhood, it brings back a rush of memories and remembrances of people and places long past . . . but I still feel and experience their influence in my life today.

There are larger questions here too; how much impact should the past be allowed to have . . . I guess the answer to that depends on the goals and hopes of today. Actually the largest question connected to this issue is this: how much will my life impact the young ones around me in their futures?

I do not often feel like Paul who said quite clearly, “Hey, be like me!” In fact I find myself opposed to that role for the most part! I do not want to be anyone’s hero. I do not wish to be in charge, control, in authority, responsible, fallible, in the spotlight, on a pedestal nor in the limelight. Unfortunately, leaders often must fill such roles.

So it seems that I can continue to be a leader, or I can go the route of hermithood (see previous post). It’s a decision we all make, because you and I both are influencing someone’s origins, roots and history. So lead! Or go hide.

1 comment:

Beth said...

How odd is this - I was visiting my father's childhood haunts (carrying my personal and collective tribal memories) at about the same time you were revisiting your childhood places.

Very emotional this can be.