Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The crushing experiences of life

There may be no more painful process in the entire lifetime of a human being. Of course I haven’t lived a whole lifetime yet, so maybe there are more painful experiences coming, but this one ranks in the top five all-time for me in these past 44 years that I have lived. Dropping your kid off at college and driving away has got to be the total pits of allpits. Yes I am thrilled that she can manage without me and that she is independent and capable and all that jazz, but I hate more than words can say that I am STILL separated her! The pits! Wretchedness! I am 5000 miles away!

I know that this is supposedly proof of successful parenting, but why doesn’t feel better? Why can’t my kids live with me like a normal family? Why can’t I see my kids play sports and be in school plays and sing in the choir and play in the band and be a part of special music on Sunday mornings in church and sit down and have supper with them and tuck them into bed at night and on and on I could go . . . and you are probably sick to death of my peeing and moaning about this. Well get over it!

The eternal question is the same; is it worth it? Most days no, . . . some days, I guess. Now to add insult to injury, I get to fly back to Makedonut and spend 4 days with the kids still at home, before they leave for boarding school. Enough already!

3 comments:

Nate Conklin said...

I agree with your heavy heart. Probably the most difficult is all the sacrifice for those who could care less most of the time. Who are not willing to give up much at all. But I guess Jesus went to those He knew would kill him.

Beth said...

The only "sick" I am is that you have to go through this.

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

There was once a man who had to make a long journey. Along with the gear he had to shoulder were two poles. He was commanded never to lose the poles because they would be his help to make the journey.

He travelled on a long time over hard ground, and the weight of the gear and poles became unbearable. He could not understand how the poles could help. They only seemed to add weight and make the journey so much harder.

Finally the burden began to cut into his shoulders and he could not stand it any more. He sat down on the ground and cried for help, not able to make another step.

It was then he heard the sound of footsteps all around. People were coming from every direction, lining up in front of him and behind between the poles. He felt himself being lifted up. The poles formed a litter for him to be carried.

I hope we haven't let you down.