Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Day One - cut to ribbons

This is my vacation. Six days of fishing on two rivers, with no phones (well mostly no phones, or at least more technically it was never for me :-), no TV, no email, lots of sun, fresh air, camp food, a great friend and lots of deep conversations

The first day started out like most vacations, with it’s share of challenges. First off, we were using a borrowed jeep and a borrowed boat and the trailers lights were not compatible nor were the electric cables long enough. We engineered a temporary fix and off we were to the campsite.

Low water was what we found when we arrived. So low that we were more than a bit concerned about being able to fish! But I get ahead of myself. We arrived at the campsite which is located where the Juniata and Susquehanna rivers meet . . . which of course is primo to have TWO rivers to fish!

So we set up camp, paid our fees, got me a fishing license, put the boat into the water, and started exploring the river south of the camp. After about an hour of this, we found a stream which fed into the Susquehanna and found the water too shallow for the boat, so we got out of the boat and we walking in the water, fishing as we went.

This was the worst possible idea! It was beyond a bad idea . . . it was a horrible idea. The thousands (dare I suggest millions!) of small mussel shells along the bottom of the river soon had cut my bare feet (second bad idea!) to ribbons. I was almost in tears by the time I got back into the boat. What a way to start a fishing vacation, with bloody and bruised feet. Needless to say I used water-shoes religiously after the first day.

The lesson was simple . . . count the cost before you get out of the boat . . . and oh, Jesus is definitely asking each of us to get out of the boat!

Later that night around the campfire Kimmy and I continued our exploration of a dozen subjects like abuse, friends, women, kids, life present, life eternal and our role in these processes.

Tomorrow I will tell you about day two.







No comments: