Monday, August 12, 2019

The triangle of production

I missed a day. And I did not even know until the following day which uh, I guess is today. Does that mean this is not yet a habit? 11 days does not a habit make. Actually it was Sunday and the flow of a Sunday is different than the flow of other days, and I just hopped from my morning workout routine, into a hustle to get to church, and then the day was gone. So clearly I need focus, even micro-bursts of focus in order to write daily, but I also require commitment to get my butt in this chair.

Ok ok everyone needs a day off, and I will let Sunday's slide into that day's off category, once this habit is solidly formed and the question of weather or not I will write is not one that is under consideration. But commitment or intentionality are the other side of the coin of focus. Without them, I don't need focus because there is nothing to focus on. Commitment and intentionality will make certain that I structure my day week month life in such a fashion that I will complete what I have intended to do. That seems like such an innocuous statement, but there are layers and layers of success or failure tied up there.

I realize as I am writing this, that there is also a third element, which might be required. Call it grit or persistence or even stubbornness but that something other to make sure the commitment or intentionality get structured, and that the focus is actualized. This threesome could be seen as gas, car and motion if you need a different metaphor. Or energy, structure and actualization if you need yet another one. If you haven't caught the whiff of possibilities yet, then you are probably reading the wrong book or blog.