Friday, August 23, 2019

Becoming

Becoming. Or as James Clear asked, “Can my current habits carry me to my desired future?” This is a most difficult perspective to grasp when you are younger. The idea that you aren’t fully formed and complete when you graduate from high school is distasteful medicine to drink and few do. But when you have multiple decades of life to reflect upon, and you can see the arc of life, then you get it, becoming is a natural part of getting older if you have practiced the right habits along with way to get where you want to go.

On the other hand, the vast majority of my high school mates, haven’t read a single book since they graduated 40 years ago, and when they look back, they see the same person that they were 40 years ago. The terrifying part of that sentence is that they are perfectly content being that same person that they think they were 40 years ago. If this describes you, then you are reading the wrong blog.

This blog would be for those who can (or want to) see the beautiful arc of what they are becoming and those who are ready to change their habits to become a person that can change the world. These people are always ready to change themselves first, because they understand that they cannot possibly change the world until they become something more. Actually it is more nuanced than that . . . they would not enjoy changing the world nor the changed world, unless they become something more first.

I am in my late 50’s, approaching 60, and I am changing more habits than ever before. I want to become more than ever before. My expectations and hopes are more than ever before. Build those habits that can carry you into a future you really desire!