Saturday, August 17, 2019

Redirection

How do we turn all of these distractions into something productive, some form of alignment? I have tried many many strategies over the last three years and they mostly have some fashion of mild success. But the only one that has consistently provided real distraction relief has been redirection. Or if that word doesn’t help you mentally picture what I am suggesting, think of it as creating projects to do and to change the endlessly circling monologue.

Yesterday was a prime example. The first redirection of the day was sending my dad out for lunch with a girl, his friend, who isn’t his girlfriend, but is a good companion. However that redirection ran out of gas after lunch. So I then I did a second redirection, I asked him to go with me to look at a property that I was thinking about developing. That kept him talking about all the reasons this property was dangerous for hours. Otherwise, if I don’t do this redirection I get monologues like the worm hole size monologue that I am getting at this moment at 6:44 am.

Worm hole sizes. Yes that is what I said. Unfortunately he is not talking about the Space variety, but rather the vegetable variety, i. e. how big the hole in his squash was yesterday from the worms, and now he has jumped to how many cows are in the pasture across the road . . .. You can easily see why redirection is a necessary tool to have in your arsenal.

One warning here though, redirection has limitations. It will not always free you up to focus and concentrate. Many times the best it can give you, is a better/different monologue/conversation. Who or what do you need to redirection today to get your best opportunity to produce something amazing?