Thursday, August 01, 2019

He would have been 55 today

He would have been 55 today

My brother's birthday is today. I can no more forget him or his birthday than I can my own name. It is still surprising how much his absence costs me in terms of anger and pain. Yet I have never felt more vibrantly alive. This is intentional, the best way I can honor those who have already passed on into eternity. Each family member and friend that goes before me, calls me to bring a better and better version of myself into play each day. These three plus years since he died have been one long roller coaster ride, but I keep breathing and thinking and working and seeking to change this world for the better. To make other's lives better.

The agony has turned to a dull steady ache. The torn fabric of life now has a scar. But I am called to face the challenges of life, of living, to take care of Earl our dad, to look after my brother's girls and his granddaughters. I am left to find a way to keep moving forward, to stand guard, to move this world to where his kids and my kids and our grandkids can have a better life, a more sure footing than we had. This loss can be the fuel to change the world, so my end and your end won't be like his end. To work toward having his death continue to matter, as if he were still with us, because he is.

Happy birthday Roger Dale. Happy double nickel man. I miss you.