Thursday, May 24, 2007

The problem with healing - by someone who has been healed

I got all kinds of questions and problems with the way we handle and approach healing within the Body. Last night I was at a small group meeting that started out well and then degenerated into a “heal me” session. Now let me clarify this upfront . . . I am for healing. I believe healing happens today, because I myself have been healed spectacularly, with before and after photos even! I am for healing.

Ok, but demanding it bothers me much. Way much. I know that the book of James tells the sick to call for the elders, be anointed with oil and that prayer of a faith-filled person accomplishes much (which BTW was never done last night). But when people start demanding that God heals, insisting that God heal, naming and claiming that heal . . . I can hardly stand it. I am for healing. I have been healed, but it had absolutely nothing to do with me. Honestly, I am not sure that I even asked for healing!

The group last night was asking for the kinds of healing that greatly increase one’s life span. This type of request bothers me the most . . . because these people are in their 60’s, and they are experiencing the aches, pains and challenges that typically come at that stage of life, and they are insisting on healing from God. These are the people who consistently state that they are the most holy people in our church. These are the one’s who are now asking for a healing that effectively will keep them out of the direct presence of God for a much longer period of time. There is just something wrong with that.

As I said earlier I don’t even think I asked for healing . . . I was too worried about my wife and three little kids to think about healing, since the doctor said that I was to die within the next 36 hours max, it was time to get my house in order. To make matters, worse, I can not tell you one single definitive reason why God healed me and not . . . a 12 year old boy of my friends who died a few weeks later, or my neighbor who died a few weeks after that . . . and a thousand other people that were more worthy, needed, loved, or had potential far exceeding mine. Don’t you dare spiritualize this! My point is that the healing I experienced had nothing to do with me and everything to do with God. He did it because it pleased Him to do so and no other reason that we can be sure of.

In my line of work I have prayed 1000s of times for various people to be healed. To my knowledge never has a single one of them been healed. Do I believe God can? Certainly! Do I believe that God does sometimes? Certainly! Do I believe we can force God or have a magic structure or formula to get a healing? Not one bit. I still have no idea why God healed me and not that 12 year boy of my friends. I would not have done it that way were I God.

When the “heal me“ prayer meeting showed no signs of finishing, I headed home. Who knows when it ended. Last thing I was told that one said was, ”I came to get my healing tonight, and we are going to keeping praying until it happens.“ I think God is immune to such pressure. He is God. A God who definitely heals (I am a living breathing example of His healing power) but He does it on His terms, not ours.

3 comments:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I think it's interesting to note that Jesus asked on more than one occasion, "Do you want to get well?" Or, "What do you want me to do for you?" I think that requires some real soul-searching. I'm beginning to think those who have problems they may never overcome in this life are blessedly dependent upon God and are forced to mature in ways the demanding never will. And being healed is a huge responsibility in the end, no matter what comes.

Julie said...

I would hesitiate to say there's "something wrong" with asking for healing that would increase one's lifespan. Yes, we can say that such a healing would keep people out of the presence of God for a longer period of time, but it would also make it possible for them to continue serving the Lord here and reaching lost people with the gospel. Maybe God still has more work for them to do before He calls them home.

I have Christian in-laws who are obsessed with the idea that every time a person dies, it was God's will for them to die at that time and in that way and that we should never seek to prolong our life or someone else's. They are against pacemakers and other life-saving devices for that very reason. I first learned of their views on this subject shortly after my mother died unexpectedly of a heart attack, and I told them that there were certain procedures that could have saved her life if we had known she was at a risk. They told me it would have been wrong for her to have those proceedures done, because God had decreed she would die of a heart attack. So I think the opposite extreme of people who insist on healing are those who say we must give in to a spirit of death and welcome it whenever it comes. God tells us in His Word to choose life, and I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to prolong the life He gave us for His glory.

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

One final comment on this blog-shortly after I wrote my comment I went to work, and in a matter of moments of coming in I inexplicably lost significant hearing in my left ear. The last five days have been a roller coaster of doctors, appointments, dreadful fears,frustration and anger, prayer alerts, questions of why?, pain and glimmers of light, physically and spiritually. I'm slowly getting better, but had to come to the understanding that if I did not, or got worse, I might never do music or prison ministry again. The thing is, God is loving, kind and sovereign. I prayed, I made appointments, I did all I could. But what results is up to Him, and up to me to embrace it.