Tuesday, May 29, 2007

God-smacked!


As Ray was describing for me how G. came to X, he used this word, “Godsmacked!” Now G. is probably one of the dangerous men in all of the Hairy Armpit . . . his local connections read like a resume for mafia connections. When G.’s asks me “should I kill him for you?” he is probably serious. So when Ray used this term, it really drove home how radically G.’s life has been impacted by God Himself.

I asked Ray what was the most pivotal moment in G. coming into the Family, and without hesitation Ray said “you”. I informed Ray that I was not a moment first of all, and secondly that I can’t pivot worth crap. After Ray finished howling, he unpacked what was pivotal in my encounters with G.

1. “I drank a beer with him.” This was one of those classic cultural moments when you need to do what the non-praying person is doing. G.’s previous interaction with Chr*st*ans was extremely narrow and moral policemen focused. Those members of the Family spent most of the time telling G. what he must give up in order to become a Family member. G. said that I told him to read the Scriptures and listen to God. The fact that I was a religious leader and made no judgement calls on him in those initial meetings was huge.

2. “I listened while drinking a beer with him.“ G. relates that 99.9% of his encounters with Family members thus far, had been G. being given all this information and answers (about questions he did not even have). It was like the person with the most knowledge was the really spiritual person. G. stated that I did not try to teach him anything, only telling him my personal story about how God pursued me, and how I believe God is pursuing all of us. Even more important was patient listening, as G.’s story unfolded for me.

3. ”I did not have all the answers.“ Westerns overload people with information and knowledge. We value competence over everything. People in the Hairy Armpit value relationship over all. But our competence model brings a ton of arrogance along with it. I really have to agree with G. on this one. Most Westerners here have an instant answer for every question -- even ones that aren’t being asked. Doctorate or not, G. says it was really important that I said, ”Hey I don’t know.“

4. ”That I involved lots of other Family members in the process.“ This is a critical part of thinking that says we should ”fish“ with a net, rather than a pole. It is something we really do together, not as individuals. I do remember that actual moment when G. asked me ”who else believes like you do“ and I pointed to the people he was surrounded by at that exact moment as said, ”we all do.“

It was encouraging and good to hear that we are joining in what God is doing, in God’s way, not the North American way. But I am thinking that at least some of the things we are doing, would work well in a North American context? I don’t know, whaddya think? Regardless let’s pray that more and more people get Godsmacked! Alright!

3 comments:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I think one of the most effective tools I used in the prison was a family photo. Of course, half the women in the place wanted to write to my son (chuckle), but relating on points of familiarity creates loving relationships and trust.

What you did is our model there-create those relationships, get to know family members on the outside, use parachurch groups for support to widen the influence and specifically for prisoners, but anybody really, and be there to listen, be yourself, be vulnerable. The wonderful thing that I find to be true is, I'm so blessed in these relationships, more than I could ever bless.

Jeff said...

David, this is fantastic news! I'll bet the thousands upon thousands of angels rejoicing at this brother's return to the Father even outnumber the restless few who will sneer at the "means."

My brother, you are an amazing writer of parables, creating stumbling blocks that trip up those hobbled by their presumptions.

I love that this sort of "evangelism" just flows out of your life. It is not a program, or an approach, or a methodology. It's not a plan, it's not a crusade.

It's just the product of a faithful follower allowing Christ to be seen in him.

Beth said...

This is wonderful news - thank you for sharing!