Saturday, May 05, 2007

Frog inertia


The dead ones are like a carpet on the road. You can’t imagine how many we are talking about. It was flabbergasting . . . I mean how could so many die? I assumed that they all were mainly killed in the evening and night, because until today, I really had not seen so many during the day when I am out biking and getting my daily exercise.

But I did see a number of them today, and darn, if I did not almost run over them too! I began to see that the frogs either did not see me coming in time to leap away, or they processed the danger so slowly mentally that they were in mortal danger from my not-so-fast mountain bike.

I call this newly observed phenomena, frog inertia. I seem to have it too. I process too slowly when I am in a tempting situation, and then just when I am about to get run over, I almost always leap to safety at the last possible second.

I process too slowly when I am under pressure. Life seems like a runaway freight train and there are too many near misses. I can’t see the danger of going my own direction, and I am especially vulnerable to fast moving wishes and wants, that will flatten me if I don’t make a heroic jump out of their path. Frog inertia can get you killed.

1 comment:

Joan said...

Remember the first video games? Atari. Frogger. Pong. Frogger was my favorite game, because I didn't want the little guy to go splat on the screen. I worked hard to perfect the game just to save a cartoon frog. I never cared about any of the other games. Video games have now evolved to something I have not the desire to waste precious time on. As my 20-year-old son says, "What's the point?" Interesting how someone who was hooked on nintendo, game boy, and play station all of a sudden finds them pointless in the broader picture of life. What difference does a frog on a screen make anyway? Well maybe that little creature came into my life, as yours, as a reminder that I mustn't tarry at temptation, jump impulsively into a situation that might backfire on me, or that life is short, and I had best not get stuck in the traffic of the mundane, watching life volley before me like watching a tennis ball in a tennis match. I could end up like Frogger—splat in the road! Life is much more exciting heading into the traffic knowing that because I asked Him, Jesus has gone before me, walks beside me, and takes up my rear guard. I'm not the expert at it yet that I became with the Frogger game, but I'm learning. Since the Frogger days, I've become better and better at maintaining open dialogue with my Redeemer throughout the day and even as I sleep. As long as I do, I know I won't go splat in the road.