Saturday, December 30, 2006

peering through the pigs


I could not see the woman who was handling my order request. She was on the other side of the pigs. A whole curtain of piglets were hanging upside down between us. There must have been 20 piglets, and 10 lambs hanging there, freshly dressed and cleaned for public consumption as New Year's approaches. The store was so full of people that you could not move down the aisles. I informed Brenda when Jake and I got home, that I refuse to set foot in that grocery store again, until January 2nd. But the wall of pigs was amazing. You literally could not see or talk to the butchers on the other side of the pig curtain. They had to separate several of the pigs to peer out and get your order. Me? I just wanted some ground beef so that I could grill out some hamburgers! Jake was impressed that when we checked out (finally) we received two gratis bottles of local wines to go with our purchases. One needs to be prepared in this part of the world for New Years, which is arguably the most important holiday there is in Slavic cultures.


Peering through the pigs, (Jake's words to be precise), paints an excellent picture of what celebration looks like in this part of the world. There is something super special about roasting a suckling pig on an open fire. It is considered to be the best all of possible celebration entrees. On the other hand I have never seen so many of them hanging at once.


I think Jesus enjoys our celebrating life, another year, relationships and community. Why wouldn't He . . . He is one who gave us the opportunity to peer through the pigs again. But most of all, I think He wants us to celebrate Him. Happy New years!

No comments: