Friday, December 15, 2006

here come the midwives


I am still trying to figure out why a man would become a midwife, but we know two! They along with who knows how many other midwives are coming to our house in about 2 hours. This evening may prove to be a little frightening. Brenda teaches evangelistic English classes at several local hospitals, but only to midwives. The other nurses get a little bent about it, but these folks work hard at learning English, and we are thrilled that they are reading from the Gospel of Luke in order to do it.


CAMA services started working with the nurses here in Macedonia 7 years ago, and the relationship just keeps getting warmer and warmer. Some of them have actually come into the Family and our sincerest prayer is that far more do. Brenda is in high demand as a native English speaker who teaches English, and there are other hospitals asking (demanding!) for her to come. Unfortunately, she is already beyond her maximum load work-wise and simply has no more possible hours left to teach. Anyone want to come work with us? We will put you to the grind immediately :-)


This evening may be a little frightening because I don't think we have ever had so many women in our house at one time before. As time wears on here in Macedonia, more and more I am becoming known as "Brenda's Husband". Most people don't think I have a name any longer, . . . just call me "Brenda's Husband." My wife may be the most well known foreigner in the whole country. She teaches everywhere, and people don't care who I am until they realize that I have some connection to their beloved teacher! That's what I get for living on the road. Tonight my primary responsibilities are to smile, serve coffee (or whatever other poison they want), keep the ash trays empty, and take photos. Maybe I will post one or two tomorrow. I still don't know what language we will be speaking with folks yet, because I have not met any of these midwives . . . but I can't wait to meet the two fellows . . . I am flabbergasted by a man who chooses to work in a uniquely female profession, and along side of only women. When do they ever have manly conversations? Haven't these fellows ever heard of Tarzan or Conan?

2 comments:

CrimsonLine said...

"oh, she's got your eyes! How many pounds?"

vs.

"Awful wrinkly, isn't she?"

Beth said...

I am so interested to hear this. I don't know what it's like there, but during my last pregnancy I spent probably a dozen hours in conversation with my midwife just in prenatals not counting the 5 or so hours she spent at our house for the birth itself (compared to the 5 min per visit an OB/GYN would have given me). Just think of that amount of time multiplied by each of the midwife's clients. That is incredibly strategic to reach out to midwives - for themselves and all the families they touch!

Besides that, LOL at the image of you trying to wait upon a house full of midwives! :-)