Thursday, July 13, 2017

Only here? Probably not.

It is a most unfortunate experience, but one I have repeated over and over these past 23 years of living abroad, that the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing, and here I am speaking of governments. I got caught today in another one of those political hamster wheels.

Each year we have to renew our visa’s. So each year we receive a new plastic social security card, with our pic on it. Each year they take that card away from us when we apply for a new one. And in-between these plastic card cycles, we get a white piece of paper that tells one and all, that we are completely legit legally here, etc etc. One of the parts of this annual lunacy is that we are required to purchase the national health care, and that is withdrawn from our local bank accounts each month.

This national health care process is super sporadic and unpredictable, with the bills coming sometimes months late, or sometimes months early, but you generally have about 3 days to pay them (i.e. rush to the bank and make sure there is enough money in there, and sign all the forms with a special teller for such matters at the bank). Then you are good. 


So as I mentioned I am in-between plastic cards, but I have the white slip of paper from the police, and this time the cycle is gonna be LONG between plastic social security cards, because the machine that makes them is broken. So what shows up? Right, the national health care forms for the months of Aug-Nov. I have three days in which to pay before the forms “expire”. So I go to the bank to pay them this morning, and guess what? Right again. The bank will not allow me to put money in the account, nor will they allow me to process the forms for the required health insurance without the plastic social security card. And of course I can’t get the plastic social security card without paying these national health care fees. The circle of government not at work.