Saturday, June 30, 2007

Pink and Jesus


I guess you could say its been a week of lessons, first the woodpile, now the rock concert. In one sense, as usual, I am actually doing research. I am researching people and what they value and trying to discern the whys. As rock concerts go, this one was actually pretty good, i.e. excellent musicians, minimal effects and the volume just right (would stop your pace-maker, but doesn’t really hurt your ears too bad).

Alecia Moore, better known by her stage name of Pink (or P!nk depending on your source) is a sassy, spoofy, goofy, snarling, hysterical artist that doesn’t take herself too seriously. She says of herself, “I decided at 15 that I didn't want to be one of those artists that gets up and sings love songs they don't mean. I decided that I was going to be me to the fullest extent, that my songs were going to reflect relationships I've had, things I've been through, and even the stuff I'm embarrassed about.” In that sense music is to Pink, as blogging is to David.

The amazing (and disconcerting) thing about going to a rock concert, is that you see the depth of influence that a pop star has on people and culture. You get to see first hand what people want in entertainment. You can see what really moves people in their hearts and souls.

Now I was arguably the oldest paying customer at the concert last night . . . several people thought I was with the band . . . and I only know one song that Pink sings (which I think we should start singing in church!), so I am in no way a typical fan of Pink, nor was I even a typical rock concert attender last night, and several young folks from our church just about swallowed their tongues when they saw me there. But while surrounded by several thousand teenie-boppers, I realized quickly that they knew every single song by heart and they were singing along with her . . . on every single song. The crowd loved her energy and her wild sense of style . . . in a word Pink is authentic and real (or at the very least gives a super strong impression of being that) by the culture’s definition of authentic.

And here is the rub for the church and those of us who are members of the Kingdom . . . that authenticity which was apparent in droves at a rock concert, is sorely lacking in the church. We don’t inspire trust, followership, commitment, nor deep emotion because at some level we appear to, or actually do, lack authenticity.

I see this sharply both in me and in the people in the church I pastor. I have one group (my group) who view and live faith as an intellectual exercise -- it’s about what you know (thus the person who knows the most or best “wins”) and I have a second group who view and live faith as name and claim whatevers - it’s about what you decide God wants to bless you with (thus the most positive pollyanna on spiritual steroids wins) and these two groups dominate the church.

All the real people are in the middle and they can’t compete with the seemingly intimidating knowledge of intellectual group, nor can they identify with NIACI (name it and claim it) group in their everyday lives. To these people caught in the middle, neither expression of the Kingdom seems authentic or real. No one seems to be just comfortable in their own skin within a Christian context. We are essentially asking God to undo what we have made ourselves to be . . . and where is the authenticity in that? Perhaps I will get fired, but I think Pink was having a flash of real Jesus in her life, when she said that “I am going to be me to the fullest extent.” Jesus wants us to be us . . . that unique expression of His creative genius is lost every time we force someone into our particular mold (pun intended) of Christianity.

“I coming up, you better get this party started!“

5 comments:

roberta said...

WHAT!?!?! you saw pink? i am sitting here flippin' green with jealousy :) ahhh. sigh.

I still can't believe it.

porter said...

Right there with you D, I was hoping to hear the church sing "Lets get this party started!"

Unknown said...

I attended a rock concert with my 30 year-old son last night. We saw Dresden Girls, Debbie Harri (from Blondie), Erasure, and Cindi Lauper at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. It was not a sanctified audience, but I was glad I attended. We shouldn't be scared to mix with people who aren't going to Sunday School. It's good for us. Otherwise we can't imagine who these people are.

D.R. Miller said...

The crowd loved her energy and her wild sense of style . . . in a word Pink is authentic and real (or at the very least gives a super strong impression of being that) by the culture’s definition of authentic.

First of all a performer on stage is no measure of authentic. They are doing a job and giving the audience what they want. If that's what you want in your Church then go for it but don't look for any positive reviews from the man upstairs. I'm not going to blast you or your youth for being at a secular concert, I don't think that's the issue but I would have to question the hearts of those so enraptured by an ungodly entertainer. What is there in her songs that merit memorizing or repeating. Do you understand what she means by party?, I don't think its the kind of party God wants His children to attend. Believe me I'm not a prude, I'm a pastor, musician and songwriter who has Jimi Hendrix on the walls of my home studio and get much of my musical inpiration from the artists I grew up with and still listen too. But, I keep it in perspective, these people have nothing to offer to me spiritually nor do I live to indulge in their lifestyles. Pastor if your Church seems to have a problem maybe it has more to do with what they love more, what God has to offer or what the World has to offer.

Kathy Eikost said...

I have to confess that I know two or three of Pink's songs (not all the words, though). The last time I went to a concert and sang all the words it was 1997 and the singer was James Taylor. -- But then you could have guessed that about me ;)