Tuesday, June 26, 2007

100 in the shade


There is hot, and then there is hot. Right now it is 100.2 in the shade! This is our 5th straight 100+ day, but it is the first day that our shady thermometer reads over 100 degrees. It is difficult to get anything accomplished. Heat inertia has taken over unfortunately and that is super bad, because as always there is tons to accomplish . . . always more work than time or energy allow. I wonder how hot it will eventually get today . . . they were only calling for 105 or so. Man!

An 8 hour drive north of us, it’s 20 degrees cooler! A 2.5 hour flight going north to Berlin Germany, the temp is 40 degrees cooler!!! Thus one can conclude that this is not a Europe-wide heat wave that we are experiencing, this is more of a local phenomena.

It’s usually quite hot here in the summer, but this is hot hot even for us. This morning I was chopping and splitting wood for my 86 year old neighbor, who kept trying to give me moonshine to drink “to combat the heat” he told me. On an empty stomach, I doubt that whisky would have cooled me off much and I begged off, spouting work reasons and the very early hour.

It is difficult to function and be effective in extreme temps like these . . . and it is difficult to function and be effective spiritually when we find ourselves in extreme situations and extreme challenges. But that is when the spiritual is supposed to kick in, right?

Well I am not so sure. It seems to me that spirituality needs to be something we exercise daily and expose daily to the stresses of our lives, rather than thinking of it as some kind of magic carpet or blanket designed to get us out of the toughest situations. But usually it seems, that the people I know and person that I am, perceives spirituality to be something I have rather than something I am. Thus when it is 100 degrees in the shade of life, way hotter and more difficult than I am comfortable with, I falter. It’s like I am looking for a way out, instead of steadfastly working through it. Clearly I need to remember that my connection to the Father is something I am, not something I have.



2 comments:

Lv2Hike said...

The thermometer on my balcony, also in the shade, read 115 late this afternoon. They say it's supposed to rain tomorrow, but with this heat it's hard to imagine! :)

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I am currently reading Andrew Murray's book simply titled "Humility", given to us by a man who just got out of prison. That alone is cause to think about this precious quality I lack. Pride I can do quite nicely. But the book focuses on the fact that humility was the essence of Jesus' being, th source of His great strength-that He did all under the authority and direction of the Father. This is the quality I tend to put on and take off when it suits me (ha!), but lately I've asked to understand what it is to take on Jesus' yoke in this department, and it sure feels like someone turned up the heat-ouch!