Monday, June 18, 2007

It's people I can't stand


Mark preached a great message Sunday morning. His point about spiritual indifference was powerful. Jesus and His agenda, Kingdom, plans, desires -- all need to move me and motivate me. But sometimes they don’t, and that is what Mark accurately nailed as spiritual indifference.

As I have tried to examine my heart these last 24 hours and look at the causes, reasons and cycles of spiritual indifference in my soul, I think I am starting to see a pattern. It’s people I can’t stand.

Don’t get me wrong, I like most people and most people like me. Those aren’t the ones that I am talking about. No, I am talking about the people who are immune to the wisdom and influence of others. I am talking about the people who do their own gig at the complete expense of the rest of the group. I am talking about people who attempt to hold everyone accountable, while never being accountable in any way themselves. I am talking about people who negotiate and politic their point of view behind the scenes, and erode people’s confidence in their leadership.

I so wish these types of people were bloggers! Get their ideas, perceptions and points of views out there for everyone to see . . . rather than leaving me feeling like I am fighting phantom ghosts that negate all things potentially good in life, church and relationships.

Many are the days that I wish I could stay buried in studying God’s word, and quietly communing with Him, and have little to no contact with people like these phantoms . . . but unfortunately this is a people business, not a function of solitude. These are the days I want to be a mechanic rather than a pastor/missionary.

4 comments:

Bernie said...

Oh, if only those folks blogged and allowed comments. What a wonderful world it would be... :)

Dr. D's Diagnosis said...

Amen to that Bernie! D

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Seems so often folks like that are either totally oblivious to what they are doing, will not even tolerate another viewpoint or purposely sabotage to maintain control. I truly understand the feeling of fighting phantoms, except that you KNOW other people have tried, and failed, to work with them, and so a cobbled-together status-quo and uneasy peace exists that the unsuspecting fall into. Those who suffer are the ones who need ministry and help the most.

Pastor Jerry said...

I know some people who fit this bill. My prayer is that I never become one of them.