Thursday, June 28, 2007

Lessons from the woodpile


One of my most recent activities is chopping wood for the dirty old man next door. Let’s face it, I need to exercise and he is 86 years old . . . and completely utterly and totally lost. Did I mention he is 86? Not too much time left, but then again, who knows how much any of us have?

So for the past week or so, when I get back from my daily workout, I am already sweaty and stinky, so what better time to split some wood for Uncle Lybe? I have been learning some lessons in the woodpile.

1. He owns an axe that is older than me! And he is darn proud of it. I have listened to lots and lots of “when I was your age” stories these past 10 days. It has given me some perspective and understanding to what makes this guy tick. And he is having a ball telling all his old cronies that he has an American splitting wood for him (for free of course).
2. Lybe is afraid of dying and he doesn’t know what to do about it, yet he refuses to talk about it. I continue to gain credibility as I chop wood, but I also am spending more of that credibility as I am starting to push because I am not remotely certain that this man will live long enough to burn the wood I am chopping for him. Eternity is urgently calling him.
3. I have also learned that I would rather do something for him, than be with him. Shows you how American I still am even after all these years in the Hairy Armpits. Mind you that Lybe only wants to drink beer or moonshine and talk about young women and their many virtues . . . and while I can do that appropriately and chastely, I can’t at 8:00 in the morning. My weak American frame cannot handle dirty jokes nor alcohol at such an early hour. Am I making excuses?
4. I am learning too, that a world view without God can only chase after the most insignificant things in life . . . and that even armed with that certainty and knowledge that I still can be tempted to do the same. Crap.
5. Today as I sat with him an had a glass of water after our chop session, he wanted to know if there were other people in the world like me? I barked with laughter and told him “I sure hope not.” “I am serious!” he said. “And so am I” I told him. “Why do you cut wood for me?” he asked. “Because I can and you can’t, because I like you and think you have real potential for such old guy, because I need to learn from you and you need to be more like me (in the sense that he is placing his trust in the Savior), and simply because we are neighbors and I want to show you that not all Americans start wars and cause problems.” I said to him as I was leaving.
6. The final lesson that I learning so far is that I need far more wisdom than ever before to help a 86 year old blind guy with a really dirty mind, to place his simple trust in a Savior. Leading the young is simple in comparison, and I have this terrible feeling in my heart that Lybe is going to choose to not believe in the end . . . his whole life and his complete understanding of it is pulling him one direction, and on the other side is just one foreigner. Man, I am praying that Holy Spirit is cutting loose with this guy, and soon.

2 comments:

Bernie said...

Dave,

You are the axe, man. Hammer away at that crusty old man. Your non-conditional authentic relationship with him will force him to crack - and sounds like he already may be. The Gospel will get through and all the sore muscles from wood chopping will be worth it. We'll be praying for you in the process.

On another note ... you chop wood AFTER your work out? Dude ... way to keep the body under control. Workout once every other day is about all I am mustering at the moment. I need to work harder at keeping up with the Aderholts (can anybody actually do that??)

:)

Bernie

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I'm writing to a prisoner and another person who blogs me that I realize I have a similar reaction to. I think first in terms of how they affect me, how they can be annoyingly worldly (chuckle) and dirty-minded, how they really can't get what I'm saying and why do I let this all bother me so much-somehow I have a hard time remembering that first of all, a long time ago, Someone and many someones had patience and compassion on a really annoyingly proud and ignorant girl.

Sigh...finally, and thank the Lord, I'm terrified that they won't ever come to know the Savior because I think I'm learning to love them (still what affects me, not them). Will I ever learn?