Monday, April 16, 2007

The wisest 8 year old

“You are not like the foreigner that lived here before“ was Stefan’s opening line. He must have been really bored to have come over and begin talking to me. Stefan is 8 years old, but he speaks like an adult. He is extremely frank, especially for someone from the Hairy Armpit. I mention that he and I arrived in the Balkans about the same time. We came here the year he was born. He thought that was hysterically funny.

”Sometimes Janice allowed me to come inside the yard“ he said, referring to the former tenant. ”She was from Holland“ he informed me. ”Where exactly are you from?“ he asked. ”We are sorta from all over“ I told him. ”I was born in Georgia, Brenda in the Zaire, Heidi in Florida, Jake in Canada, and Helen in PA.“ ”And you can come into our yard anytime your parents or grandmother allow you to“ I added. ”Really?!” he asked.

And he ran away to ask if he could come into our yard and help me pull weeds. Seconds later he returned and said that his aunt gave him permission to come into the yard and he did. I showed him which weeds I was targeting and he went at it with a vengeance, all the while telling me that I had to make certain that I got the roots up, or that we would be doing this again in about 2 weeks! Indeed, he was pulling them up, roots and all.

This little 8 year old guy who was helping me pull weeds today, understood more about weeds and roots than most adults. That to really remove those weeds from our life that we need GONE, we gotta get the roots too. I am suspicious that most days, Stefan is wiser than me.

4 comments:

Ohjin Bushi San said...

Sometimes 8 year olds are great teachers!

Modern medicine gives us blood pressure pills to cure something that is caused by 50 lbs of excess weight! It's easy to take the pill. It's difficult to dig out the root of the problem. It's too much like work but in the end, it's the best course of action. The problem can be permanently cured eliminating the need for the daily pill.

Thanks Stefan. You are wise beyond your years!

Heather said...

Most of what the Lord teaches me comes from illustrations my 5,7, and 9 year old give me. This is a beautiful post. What a precious reminder that removing any problem means getting at the root, not just dealing with the symptoms.

Dr. D's Diagnosis said...

I agree .

Kathy Eikost said...

You may not be aware that there's a "new" game show here in the States called "are you smarter than a 5th grader?".

Point taken.