Thursday, April 26, 2007

Privacy - interruptions without permission are unwelcome? (Completely present 2)


Promptness can be defined by a clock, only in monochronic cultures. In our western monochronic culture, we have placed values on units of time . . . seconds, minutes, hours, etc . . . . and we place high value on these units . . . therefore you show others that we value them by valuing their units as well. Promptness (clock promptness) and schedules are those things which lead us to live efficiently . . . but is that good?

Polychronic cultures see time as the point where you are at the moment and not something that can be divided into any types of units. Thus time becomes almost irrelevant by the western (monochronic) definition. How you handle time (the place where you are at that moment) in synergy with relationships, determines how you value others. So promptness is not a clock event. Instead the result is multilevel, simultaneous involvement (no one excluded because of time) . . . interruptions are simply part of the rhythm of life.

When all promptness is defined by the relationship rather than the clock, it is actually possible to be completely present. I wrote chapter one of this concept and you can read it here if you wish, but being completely present in this moment, and in no other, is beyond the grasp of most monochronics.

I am currently teaching at the seminary and I can say with authority that 99% of the students here are culturally polychronics. They have no sense of time (in a monochronic sense) and consequently they also have no sense of privacy and respecting my time (in that monochronic sense) because they are not monochronics. They are polychronics. You know you are loved, when you are interrupted constantly, because life (and time) is about relationships. Maybe polychronics have it right after all.

3 comments:

Beth said...

So in a polychronic culture, do you ever have a situation where one person is waiting for another to arrive so they can spend time together, and instead of arriving their friend is still enjoying time with another group of friends? Does that ever happen? Does anybody ever mind?

Dr. D's Diagnosis said...

Wow what a question Beth! I don't think people wait for each other here . . . they just show up. Waiting is another monochronic behavior. This is what I think . . . but I am not 100% sure, as I am still formally and informally researching this concept. what I really hope is that we can all (especially me) practice being completely present in the given moment. I still don't do very good at this.

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I know I over-comment, but I loved your first "present" blog, and wanted to just put in my 2 cents because I'm a by-the-list, very scheduled person. I'm much better at giving time on the phone, letting people drop in, all that, but I know my limitations. I have a personality that needs down time and I'm not afraid to say "no", which is another thing I could never do well in the past.

Also I just passed several days which included keeping promises to people to be with them. Maybe it is a cultural thing, but I feel much more loved and cared for if when I'm with someone I know I have their full attention, no phone, no other people, if that's the understanding. And if I'm with someone, they have that of me. Things happen surely, but I do try to control that, especially if it's kids or close friends. Again I'm not sure it's fair to categorize.