Saturday, April 28, 2007

What the cars have been drinking?


She said “Let’s wait for the light, because of the holiday you don’t know what these cars have been drinking!” Drinking indeed! Well contrary to my wife’s misspoken words, the car’s aren’t drinking anything in the Hairy Armpit, but most everyone else does.

It is used to entertain guests, to stimulate discussions, given to babies in their bottles, to give honor to those who have achieved status by doing good in the community, it is in fact the center of practically all social activities in Slavic culture . . . it is impossible for people here to understand a society where drinking is not the center of life and relationships . . . just ask the two fellows I passed this morning at 7:35 am who were having their morning beer at the cafe. They greeted me warmly, and I them . . . passing on their offer to share a beer with them. But since I was not close to them relationally, they were not overly insulted by my refusal to drink with them.

But in most of Europe drinking is the context of social discourse . . . and social discourse is the foundation of relationships . . . and relationships are the foundation of sharing the Truth.

There are certainly people here who abuse alcohol as there are everywhere in the world. The wrecks left in the wake of abuse are heartbreaking and frankly awful. We all have seen them. Many of my friends around the world are working right in the middle of these addiction- wrecks . . . and they can tell you horror story after horror story.

But the reality that we Evangelicals ignore is that those lost in the desperation of addictions (any addiction) are generally a minority . . . the majority partake in social discourse responsibly. Too many people in my line of work lose vast opportunities and access to these relationships because their cars aren’t drinking anything either.

50% of my church relationships are conducted in a completely alcohol-free environment. 95% of my non-church relationships are conducted in an alcohol-included environment. (John 2:10-11; 1 Tim. 5:23; 1 Cor. 9:22-23).

While the cars aren’t drinking, and honestly they aren’t, those that Christ died for are . . . and there are already so many barriers to them hearing the Gospel, should we build one more wall for them to climb? What will the wine-making Christ say about that, when we stand before him face to face?

5 comments:

Beth said...

Now this is very odd. Just this morning I was trying to refresh my memory on how to be a Godly wife, and nearby I stumbled across this nugget:

Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

And therefore I was just pondering this very subject.

Beth said...

Of course to be perfectly fair, I would have to quote a few other verses . . . . but anyone knows that . . .

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Darn it-it's so hard not to comment. Yes, the addicted are the minority. I work with them, I live with them. No, I don't think drinking is a sin and those that would stand in judgment over such a thing, as well as dancing, smoking, whatever, whatever, are in the wrong-only God knows the heart. I have many friends in many places and I agree unfortunately that I feel most at home with those that would be considered more "worldly".

I just wonder, as I do with various types of people and situations-do we ignore what God truly wants in fear of how we might appear to other believers? How far do we take "not offending your brother"? In what context do we share with non-praying people? Should we frequent bars? I find oftentimes in obeying I'm led to groups of people who would be considered extremely worldly and out there. Is this just my place of service? We are told not to be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good-what is evil? And what is just social intercourse and normal? Ok, too many questions, not enough answers. But I agree that you are right-we lose many opportunities.

Renee' said...

This seems to be an issue for which there is no "one size fits all" answer.

Is it true that some Americans have way to many hang ups about drinking? Absolutely.

When in the States, Bernie and I made a decision not to drink for several reasons. Having been in Russia, Mongolia and the housing projects behind our church and living among peoples who's lives were the train wreck caused by alcohol, we just didn't want our money going to that industry. We also were purposefully and relationally trying to speak Christ to lost friends who were recovering alcoholics. Once I pulled out a bottle of sparkling grape juice that has the appearance of wine, and was begged to put it away.

In Mongolia, drinking is an expected part of social life, although they are very gracious to foreigner's who don't like fermented mare's milk and laugh at us, they are quiet pleased if we just put it to our lips.

Back to the States, we found that we offended far more Christians with knee jerk reactions to legalism. Their freedom to drink was a bigger priority than its affect on those around them.

Yes, Jesus made and drank wine. Everything He did was with the purpose to glorify His father. If that is our purpose, we are safe. If we use the Scriptures as an excuse to drink or not drink based on what we want to do, we've sinned.

Bottom line, understand the Scriptures and keep your convictions before God, always making your choices either way on how to bring down the barriers that separate those who desperately need a Savior and the One who came to save. Don't make your choices for the sake of your own freedom, your own lust, your own desire to fit in and be liked or your own pride regarding your conviction.

For what it's worth, here is a link to a blog I wrote on the subject here.

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Thanks so much,Renee, for the crystal clear commentary and all-too-true blog entry. One more comment I would make is this, and I guess I didn't think it through-we cannot treat unbelievers with the same measuring stick as believers. I try to rightly evaluate where a person has been and what they know or don't know. This takes grace and the loving lead of the Holy Spirit. And in the same way I need to trust that God will lead me to the people who I can perhaps show His love and learn grace from at the same time. I have learned more by being in prison ministry than anywhere, that people are people no matter what, where, whatever, and all need the same thing-love and respect and a purpose in life.