Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What a day!

I wrote this a few days again, but I think you can handle that . . .Today was about as perfect a day as anyone could have. Today I got to see my son play soccer in a high school game for the first time ever. I imagine that sounds like some small matter to those who get to see their kids play in various sports all the time, but when you live 1200 miles away from your kids . . . it is exceedingly rare for such a thing to happen.

In fact, most missionary parents never get to do what I did today. And I not only cheered for Jake, but also Christine from Macedonia, and Josh from France, and Becki from Russia, and Yoel from Turkey, and Ellen from France, and . . . well you get the picture . . . I was yelling for all the parents that could not be there ever and watch their kids play in a simple game.

Jake was the General out there . . . making sure every person was covered and that the team was safe and protected as well as his defense could make it. They creamed the opposition!




Its great to see him rise to the top . . . especially in light of his challenges in the past. He is becoming quite a man, and I was thrilled to get to see him play today, and see what he is shaping up to be. One thing is for sure, he is becoming a man to be reckoned with, and God has wired him just for such a task.

Once long ago, a psychologist told us that we were the perfect parents for a boy like Jake. But he got it all wrong . . . Jake is the perfect boy for parents like us.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I love when you post these great things about your kids - that is so cool

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Man, I still remember a little tow-headed blonde on Sunday morning with a tiny bowtie. Look at those shoulders! Yeah, I'm going to NYC with Dee tomorrow, my cosmopolitan fashion design student soon-to-be-famous, and I feel like I need a t-shirt that says "I'm with her".

Patricia said...

David, Thanks for cheering for all the parents who couldn't be there. I'm so glad YOU were there - and love watching your sweet-souled boy becoming a man. You and Brenda and God have made him what he is becoming, and it's a beautiful things to see.