Friday, June 30, 2006

accents

What is in an accent? I have one, and so does everyone else. It's just that mine is played out a little differently than most peoples. In Russia, folks generally pegged me as a Bulgarian trying to speak Russian. When in Bulgaria speaking Macedonian, they think I am a Russian trying to speak Bulgarian. Are you laughing yet? And when in Macedonia speaking Macedonia, they know I am not from Macedonia, but yet they do not know were I am from . . . and so I play a game.

When they ask me where I am from, I take the question in it's most concrete possible form and tell them that I live in Skopje, in the neighborhood known as Taftalige. "No where are you from" comes the next question. And I continue to play, "well we have lived all over, and ethnically I am German." as I continue to dodge the question they are really asking, which is "where were you born?"

Now if you spoke to me on the phone like Beth Knight-Pinneo did recently, like her, you would immediately know that I was born in the Southern USA, somewhere deep in the South. You can't shake those accents. And I have been honing mine down for years! Back home I am accused of being a "yankee" and in the Northeast I am called a "reb" or worse yet, "bubba". A couple of weeks ago I called the college in Rome GA where Heidi will be attending in the Fall to talk withone someone there, and I started laughing because of how strong her accent was . . . and she thought I was laughing because she did not think she had an accent after 3 years in Southern CA! In general, you can't get rid of your accent completely without professional diction lessons, or a voice coach.

This game of "where are you from" is extremely frustrating, because it is a daily reminder that I am instantly identifiable as a foreigner here because my speech patterns. That is just so very old and irritating. But I hope that I am also as instantly identifiable as a person of Faith, because I have the accent of Christ. Now that rocks.

3 comments:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Yo, youse can take the bubba outta the Sout', but youse can't take the Sout' outta the bubba, henna?

Beth said...

Good talking to you - made me miss my relatives :-)

Kim in Training said...

I ate at a local diner for quite a while, getting to know the owner and crew, being somewhat low-key about my faith, as they were somewhat hostile (with reason) toward Bible-thumpers. When one of the diners struck up a conversation and began being too coarse, I asked him to stop, as I was a preacher's kid and just wasn't raised that way. My friend, the owner, whipped around, saying, "I KNEW it! I knew there was something different about you." I could have wept. I'm so glad (and surprised) it shows! Perhaps we do carry the "accent" of Christ without even knowing it.