Wednesday, June 07, 2006

5 countries, 15 hours

As I said in my last post, I am not a very good traveler. I seem to have terminal destination disease. Being there always seems to be my goal, getting there feels like a nusiance. This morning I woke up to Italian sunshine, bright blue skies, and an aching body. The sitting in a car hour after eternal hour is less and less fun as I get older. This morning, I really feel the results of sitting and traveling for 15 hours yesterday. That is the negative stuff.

On a more positive note, I had a significant amount of time to think. I have been attempting to do more of that lately . . . to be a bit more thoughtful oriented and less action oriented. I also had time to finish listening to a ghoulish audiobook that I had been listening to while biking recently. But most importantly, Brenda and I had a long talk. Not just one long one . . . but a long one interspered throughout the day. It was very rich and thought provoking.

When we finally got off the Italian interstate and grabbed a hotel room, we got the great news that Brenda's parents received their passports, and that is very good news, since they are flying out tonight (Wednesday evening) and we are picking them up at the airport in Zurich tomorrow morning. That of course is assuming that we actually get to Zurich, as we are still undecided about which way to go in order to get around the Gotthard tunnel closing (see previous post).

It is a bit wild to cross five different countries in one day. The variety of landscape, police, roads, cars, police, weather, fuel prices, police, and border experiences are infinitely entertaining. Hopefully today we will keep it down to two to three countries. Are we there yet?

No comments: