Saturday, April 05, 2014

Why being cheated bothers us so much

As someone who has been living abroad for most of the last 20 years, I think it is safe to say that I have been cheated far more than the average person. Since I am “the foreigner” it is like I have a golden bullseye on both my forehead and in the center of my back which makes everyone feel complete freedom to take advantage of me as much as possible as frequently as possible. This is not the cheating on a test, or the passing to the front of the line without waiting like everyone else, or even the paying too much for a competitive opportunity.
No I am talking about the systematic and automatic reaction that non-Westerners have to Westerners. They perceive me to be both stupid and rich (how they reconcile a person being both at the same time is beyond me), and thus fair game for any possible overcharge, extra payment, etc etc. When we lived in Russia, there was a local charge, and a foreigner charge, with the foreigner charge being at least double what the locals pay. Here in Asia, even at the temples, there is a charge for foreigners to enter, but no charge for the locals. Taxis quadruple their prices, vendors double the cost of their goods, when groups go out the foreigner is expected to pay every time, and this gets old very very very quickly! It has been my life for 20 years.
In fact, one of my “friends” tried to double his money at my expense yesterday! So what is really going on? Well first of all, when a taxi driver in Istanbul charges me $30 to drive me one kilometer it is plain and simple extortion. But that is unusual even for me. So it is not extortion most of the time, but rather that I actually CAN afford to pay so much more than the locals. I actually am so much richer than the locals - and I resist. I don't want to acknowledge or admit or live with the daily shame that I am far richer than most of the people I live among and work with on a daily basis. Second of all, in my home country I am on the poorer side of the scale, and so inside myself, I feel poor too! I hate that I am expected to pay more than the locals I live among - and that is my problem - not theirs.
Ex-pats argue that they have far more expenses than do the locals, that they have to live in (at least) two worlds at the same time (their host country and the country that they come from - and I actually currently live on three continents!). This is true to a point. Ex-pats argue that the more money they lose the less they have to give. This too is true to a point. But the reality that we don't want to own up to is that we are far richer than we admit, and we usually want to pay the local going rates for all services and products. It ain't gonna happen any time soon.