Saturday, April 12, 2014

Crashes number 2, day number three.

I am a little flabbergasted at how much the loss of my computer has thrown me off my workflow. I am thinking that I need to make sure I regularly work on the iPad and have an equal workflow in place here, as well as the laptop. On the other hand, I could have duplicated the workflow on the desktop computer - but why didn't I?
This is actually an important question! After thinking about it a great deal today, I have come to the conclusion that I become so involved in actually working, that I forgot about the beautiful structure underneath that keeps that workflow moving so seamlessly. In my humble opinion, that is the beautiful simplicity of owning a Mac. It has been my steady and consistent experience these last 10 years of having Macs rather than PC. I just take for granted all that is going on in the background, making my work days possible … until a crash happens.
I clearly need some redundancy here, and need to motivate myself to make this happen as I develop the actual workflows. Make certain that it is happening on at least two machines at all times, make certain that a failure on one machine, will not equal a failure of process and production. But the urgency and excitement of the immediate work thus far, has prevented me from successfully doing this, and it is something that needs change.
From a leadership point of view, we have to think of these actions as preservation of a future value, as ownership in the stock in our company, keeping the output working into the foreseeable timeframe ahead of us, as responsible actions of invested people. May there never be a “next time.”