Wednesday, April 09, 2014

crashes

You never actually appreciate some things fully, until you have to do without them. That happened to us when we moved to Russia 20 years ago and learned to live without always-available water, electricity and heat (water is by far the most difficult to not have always-available). And over the years we have also learned to drive less, walk far more, live in smaller spaces, live the night life, be less time conscious (in a less-American way), among other things.

This week though, yesterday in fact, I had something happen, that has not occurred for over 10 years - my computer crashed. I mean it died a complete and significant death. Can't use it at all, is now a paper-weight, kind of crash. I just have never had this happen to me in my Apple world, until yesterday. Fortunately I am heading to the states in 10 days and so I can get it repaired, but unfortunately I am not heading to the states for 10 days!

It is amazing how much you don't realize where your work is centered, in terms of tools, until you are scrambling to get those tools back in other ways!

Perhaps I should examine my work processes more carefully, and think "crash!" and what that would mean, as a precautionary work of implications? By the way, I have a current backup of my computer, but I just don't have a hard drive (evidently) any longer, onto which it can be restored. So what other processes, tools, and methods need some redundancy in my work, and in yours?  

Here is to crashes and the lessons they may teach us.