Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Racing the butterflies


The smoke from the wildfires outside the city is choking the air with smoke and ash. It is like a terminal haze laying over the air, gray, polluted, even direct sharp sunlight is having trouble getting through it, and we haven’t had a cloud in the sky in weeks.

So this morning as I was riding my bike up the mountain to the South of the city, and finally getting above the worst of the bad air, I found myself racing the butterflies. There were all kinds . . . Purple Shot Copper’s, Small Coppers, Large Whites, Bath Whites, Wall butterflies, and Small Tortoiseshells.

Butterflies can only fly if their body temperature is above 86 degrees, and consequently the butterflies are usually sitting on branches and such, sunning themselves, but today all were in flight. And an amazing number of them seem to be racing along with me as I poured sweat while pedaling uphill. It was a magical moment in the good air.

When I sit and think of all the elements that had to come together to have this five minute moment this morning, it is more than a little mind-boggling. Life is complicated! And it is too often just a series of nows, the this moment’s of life that can not be duplicated nor repeated. I wonder if that is a gift or a curse for the Western Mind which is centered around planning and individualism?


1 comment:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I had a moment like that happen last Saturday. I just got out of the prison and had to pick up meds at a local pharmacy, which I never do on Saturday. I passed the corner of the block where the pharmacy was located and saw a pile of what looked like trash on the curb, and in the trash several pieces of beautiful and valuable depression glass shining in the sun. My mind battled-should I stop? I zoomed around the corner and parked the car, jumped out and looked closer. Just then a young man came out with an arm-load and I chatted with him. He told me take whatever I wanted-it was all free. It was right place, right time and such a reminder of God's provision and ability to engineer a moment. I used to collect depression glass and had to sell everything in a time of need. To have a few pieces for free was like a kiss from heaven. But in the past I would not have stopped probably, because it would interrupted my schedule.