Wednesday, February 14, 2007

people and emails


Where do the days go? As I am getting ready for bed here and wondering that to myself, I just happened to count how many emails that I wrote today. That number would be 28 (oops, just answered Beth and that makes 29). And then I counted how many people I met with today at various times, and that number would be 13. I don’t know if that number is high or low, but I do know that these two tasks of people and email took 14 hours to accomplish. I just sent the last couple home and its 11:00 pm. I guess there were lots of incidentals thrown in there as well. 12 SMS’s, 9 cell phone calls, 6 land line calls (that I can remember). And a meal with my wife That was the best part of the day.

Is this the work of God in the modern world? Yeah, I know I have the spiritual gift of fund-raising, but is it really God’s ministry for the day?

Well one side of me says yes and the other side of me is not so sure. The yes side says that it was all communication stuff and that is certainly the hard work of ministry. People and communication are the two axis that ministry often pivots on. The side of me that says no, is the scholarly side that would rather be diving into the Word getting ready for Sunday. Sure I guess there needs to be a balance right? huh? What balance do we evangelicals have? Most of us believe that we don’t pray enough, read the Scriptures enough, be with people enough, communicate God’s Truth often enough. So where is the balance and when is enough enough?

It was just a typical people/email day, plus . . . not to mention my favorite spiritual discipline of writing a blog throughout the work week. Can I see God in all of this talk (communication)? I am not sure. Am I busy? For certain. I know that many believe that we cannot see the eternal value of what we do until eternity . . . but only a fool would not at least try.

No comments: