Friday, February 16, 2007

kidnapped at 13 years of age


She was telling us this amazing story, of the kidnapping . . . but her story alone was amazing. Here she is in the Hairy Armpit, born in Iran, married to a local who brought her here and now she and her two daughters continue this line of strong women who have overcome amazing trials.

So as we sat at the table, mesmerized by the story of her grandmother, who at the age of 13 was kidnapped by an Iranian man in Russia (Georgia more precisely) and taken to Iran to be his bride, and she was. She told us that her grandparents remained married for their natural lives.

And while not a kidnap victim per se, Silvi is reliving her grandmother’s challenges, as she is stuck in Skopje. As she sat there with her Persian bible (the first I had ever seen in my life) she told us some of her story. Long story short, she was just so thankful for the International Church here in Skopje, and for the home group that we were attending.

It was a pungent reminder to me that while I cannot control what comes my way in life, I can control how I respond to it, and in that bring much glory (or shame) to the King. It made me a bit ashamed to read some of my previous posts, peeing and moaning about whatever, when other people nearby and within our reach, are trapped in one sense, yet set free by God in another. She calls me her pastor . . . I felt like a worm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi, Dr. Diag. I am reading your blog for a couple of days and I think you are great. Once again you gave me courage and hope for my ministry. See you when you come "here". In Christ...