Monday, October 16, 2006

WWJD - what would Jesus drive?

I was reading Phil Steiner’s blog today and he is thinking about getting a Citroen in China, but actually he is currently enjoying the great freedom of NOT having a car. I occasionally drive a Peugeot . . . are the French taking over the world’s car production?? What a scary thought! What Would Jesus Drive, that is what WWJD stands for in my mind. For those of you who think that WWJD is a recent phenomena I hate to burst your bubble, but Charles Sheldon coined that phrase over a 100 years ago. And for another pin-prick into your evangelical bubble, Sheldon asks the question what would Jesus do in the context of the social gospel, e.g. taking care of people’s physical needs with the same urgency that we care about their spiritual needs. Whoa Nellie! Who let that liberal in all our churches?? WWJD indeed.

I think maybe we should also ask WWJE - what would Jesus eat? But that can be a blog for another day. Sheldon would certainly ask this question today - what would Jesus drive? - were he writing his famous book, In His Steps in 2006 rather than 1896. Because what Jesus drove would pretty much tell you all you needed to know about Jesus. Wouldn’t it? Perhaps the question would really be, would Jesus drive?

According to Commute Solutions if you drive your car 11,200 miles per year, then the actual cost of your driving per year is $13,350.40! That is the cost of driving one car in the USA one year that many miles. That astronomical figure is higher than the annual personal income of individuals in 142 of the 182 countries listed on the Wikipedia nominal per capita income website click here. So we have to ask once again, would Jesus drive, not just What Would Jesus Drive?

I am maudlin in my thoughts today . . . having a rare non-people day . . . trying to catch my breath before diving back into the tornado of ministry tomorrow, so forgive me if I become a bit sappy and syrupy as a result of my emotional overload from this past month of work in the hairy armpit. What we choose to drive ( if we choose to drive) states our values in the most public way. I believe Jesus may not be a Chevrolet fan over Fords, but I am confident that He is interested in the values behind what we drive. What we drive shows what we care about most.

The deeper I get into this blog the less I want to spell out where I am going, but let this suffice. When we were last on home assignment, two plus years ago, our family discovered that how far we were willing to walk or bike was far far different than our neighbors. We think little of walking a mile round-trip to get bread for lunch. We do not blink at walking a three mile round trip to go to church. Mind you this does not make us holy, not in the least . . . but it does say that most of us could restructure our lives and drive less . . . to have more resources to address the overwhelming needs in the world.

I think my diagnosis for this one is that Jesus would get a bike. In light of world hunger and poverty (if you are reading this blog you haven’t had too much personal experience with hunger or poverty since you have access to a computer), a car is just too much of a luxury. A bike has zero cool factor, and is a witch of a ride in inclement weather, but the cost per year can’t be beat. I think Jesus would get a bike and use because He would live out 1 Timothy 6:8 everyday.

This is not a criticism of having cars, but rather a challenge to hold them lightly, consider getting rid of them (you will love what this does to your finances) and make sure I am driving no more than necessary. Now WWJE?

8 comments:

Dr. D's Diagnosis said...

Oh Astrochick! I had no idea, but I am ROTFL!! This is so rich! Thanks for the head's up! D

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I think I need What Would Jesus Wear...especially to an art show.

Dr. D's Diagnosis said...

LOL! I do think that Jack and Charles were contemporaries. :-)

Julie said...

If Jesus worked and ministered more than 30-60 miles from His home, a bike might not be practical (imagine riding a bike to work when you live on the east end of Long Island and work in Manhattan). So I think He would also consider taking the bus. This would allow Him to connect with needy people on the way to His destination each day.

Beth said...

Well, I think Jesus would use any and all transportation methods available, and I don't think he would be too snobby to either ride with his rich friends on their private jet planes, OR the very next afternoon to do an iron man bike a thon with other friends. In other words, I don't think he could care less about the money, only about what worked best to connect with PEOPLE.

Remember, Judas is the only person quoted in the Bible who was overly concerned about things costing too much money!!!

(And I only feel free to say such a terribly offensive thing on your blog because I know we are friends and you will just laugh but not be in the least offended with me :-)

Dr. D's Diagnosis said...

LOL!, oh Beth, leave it to you to view the question in an entirely different fashion . . . and no, I am not offended, humbled as always that you read my blog.

(And as usual), I don't necessarily agree with you that Jesus would not be concerned about the costs, precisely BECAUSE He cares so much about people.

The point of my blog which you so poltely ignored :-) was that if I spend all of God's blessings on ME, then what is left to give? Most North Americans I run into in my travels, are so far in debt and so stressed budgetwise, that serious and generous giving is not remotely an option.

For generosity to be a steady part of who we are, we must be willing to live with less, smaller, older in order to have something left for the rest of the world. Judas

Beth said...

Point taken. I will sit humbly and meditate on improving my generosity.

However, I do not think of money as a pizza which must be divided in slices but as a crop which is grown, created and multiplied. So my goal is to give generously AND not be overly parsimonious with myself or my family.

And I would almost be willing to bet money that you are extremely generous with your own family as well - just like God. (unlike Judas)

But as one of those overweight American Christians, I do realize I have a looooong ways to go.

jason said...

i think Jesus would use a mac