Friday, October 13, 2006

French imposters

He held up a sign written in English, “I am Bosnian, I have no money” in Paris, (France, not Texas) standing in front of the Eiffel Tower. So my son walks over to him and starts speaking one our Slavic languages to him -- the man cannot understand a single word Jake is saying. Turns out that the man is French, hitting up on English speaking tourists by impersonating a Bosnian refugee! I was howling as I read Jake’s email about his recent trip to Normandy.

While that story was funny, I can find that I am an impostor sometimes too. I have been convicted this week as I have mulled over the last verse of James chapter one . . . about true religion, or spirituality, that of being there for orphans and widows in their tough moments. The problem is that all their moments are tough! Widows and orphans are inherently long term projects and I am the most mobile of people . . . long term projects don’t fit into my life, I can’t make that kind of a commitment, I am not in one place long enough to follow through with one of these long term projects . . .can I think of any more excuses?

There are excuses and then there are reasons . . . and I have a tough time figuring out when I am doing one versus the other. Reasons and excuses aside, the biblical mandate seems awfully clear and un-negotiable. Is this a simple obey or disobey gig? I don’t know for sure, though I had better figure out what position I am going to take on Sunday morning when I stand up and preach. I do know this, the vast majority of us, me included, don’t do anything with/for/to orphans or widows. (I wonder if widowers fit into this category as well?) And I have a feeling I already know what the Lord thinks about that.

No comments: