Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Erratic Compulsions

I was looking at the bombed out buildings along the side of the road today as we drove to the Resurrection Center wondering; what must it have been like for those who were living there when the mortar shells were falling on those homes?

Here in the Balkans, the truth is this; he who has the most strength makes the rules. And we Westerners can identify with both strength and rules. Unfortunately Paul took exception with both.

Paul actually frames this addiction to the law, rules, and regulations as an erratic compulsion that leads to trying to get your way all the time (Gals 5:19). He goes further and clearly says that obsession with the law, rules, and regulations leads to an obsession with sin! (Go read it!). In contrast to this style of life Paul suggests, "Why don’t you choose to be led by the Spirit and so escape the erratic compulsions of a law-dominated existence?" (5:18 The Message)

What a powerful indictment to our religiosity and religious culture today. What is there about us that resists a Spirit-led life, and embraces a rule-focused existence?

I have been giving this some serious mental percolating time. I also have been bouncing these questions and ideas off our President Benedict (who is currently staying at my house in Skopje), a District Superintendent from the USA and other key leaders within our organization. I see a large disconnect between our theory and our practice. We make people sign papers that bind them to laws, rules and regulations.

What I hear our leaders saying is that we want to be an organization that embraces the Spirit-led life of Freedom, and several times I heard that we actually are that kind of organization. On the opposite side, I have been told that I work too hard and that I should rest more, take better care of myself, and in general relax more. That looks good on paper, but reality is this, I am valued for what I do, not who I am and not what I think. President Benedict says the most amazing things, which give me hope that we can let go of our erratic compulsions. Nobody hopes more than I, that he is right, and that my cynicism is wrong.

I have found myself at the bottom of the spiritual dogpile so many times . . . on the other hand comments left on yesterday’s blog about Incompatible Selfishness give me some hope. Hey maybe I can muster the energy to try once again to effect change within the CMA and see if we can let go of our erratic compulsions.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Gary is my hero. He is full of amazing things. My favorite is when he talked about women having a place at the table. I'm sure he's not perfect either, but he's good.

Julie said...

Gary has given me great hope for the C&MA. How encouraging that you've had the opportunity to share your heart with him about these issues.