Wednesday, September 06, 2006

verisimilitude

That is, depicting realism, or having the appearance of truth. Realism, truth these are difficult things. Living in the truth is a tough gig. Today it’s Independence Day here and of course everything is closed and no one is working, er . . . , except for us of course. And people love talking to us about how important Independence day is and what a big holiday that Independence Day is in the States, etc. etc. We all love independence, for it gives us the feeling that you are on your own, that we can make it (whatever it is) ourselves, that we do not need anyone, that freedom is ours to enjoy, that we can make unimpeded decisions without thought for others, and finally that they can make the same unimpeded decisions without regard for me.
There is a big problem with independence . . . it’s killing us. Moreover it is not realistic, it does not have the proper elements of verisimilitude. It’s killing us in that what we want destroys us. Old John says it pretty clearly when he states that we will either love the darkness or we will love the light, but I can tell you that loving the darkness is a lot easier. We will do ultimately what we love to do. I wish that I did the right things for the right reasons, but I don’t. Oh sometimes I do the right thing, but usually it is for the wrong reasons.
I love the way Miller says it, “Because of sin, because I am self-addicted, living in the wreckage of the fall, my body, my heart, my affections are prone to love the things that kill me.” Only Christ can help me love the right things for the right reasons. Only Jesus can help me love heaven or, as C. S. Lewis accurately pointed out, we will hate heaven too (The Great Divorce). Of course I hate this . . . that I need Jesus, because I so desperately want to be independent. Once again this is a fantasy not verisimilitude.
My friend Chris Howard says it best, that we need to be gloriously dependent on Jesus. Chris is a motorhead, but unfortunately and sadly (for those loving independence) he is 100% correct. We were not made for independence.

No comments: