Monday, May 22, 2006

When do you let the consequences kick in?

Last night I had the most unpleasant experience . . . I had to tell one of my brightest, high-potential students that they could not sit for the final exam. Bethany is involved in EVERYTHING! She is a student here working with InterVarisity, but she is also a fulltime student here in the seminary . . . yet she is never in class. She has attended only 46% of class so far. You can't learn if you are not in class. But it pains me terribly to write her and tell her that she cannot sit for the final exam, which essentially means that she is finished for this course.

So I wrote her and told her that she cannot sit for the exam. Well today the Dean's office overruled me :-) Personally I am glad, but this seminary is in deep trouble, because of this very type of stuff . . . they can't keep their own rules!

I wonder if we in the church have decided that this is what Grace means in all situations. I agree that Grace essentially means that I DON'T receive what I deserve in terms of eternal punishment. But does it also mean that with all aspects of everyday life? So whenever the rules are broken, it's OK, we will be gracious and let it pass? Again, I am personally thrilled that Bethany will now be able to finish the class I am teaching . . . she is one of the best students! On the other hand, when do you let the consequences kick in? I would love to know what you think.

2 comments:

Beth said...

It's impossible to make any rules about when to give grace and when to stick to the rules, because the rules will always force you to do what is going to bring a great outcome for one person and a terrible outcome for another, because rules don't know when common sense or the heart has a different answer. I think this is one of the hardest questions in the Christian life, particularly as a parent. I've often thought I made the wrong choice after I either gave grace, or made my child stick to the household rules. Too harsh, too lenient. It's a constant self-questioning game. The only right answer is being led by the Spirit, and the people watching may very well think you're crazy.

I do think it is NOT loving to not allow someone to experience consequences. I think I probably would have chosen to not let Bethany take the exam either, because the consequence of failing now is far easier than the consequence she may experience later if her habits cause a whole ministry to painfully fail, affecting many other people.

Dr. D's Diagnosis said...

Well said . . . and I am glad someone out there struggles with these same issues. And I like your perspective on Bethany . . . I basically told her the same thing at lunch today. But still the Dean overrode me enforcing his own rule. Go figure :-)