Friday, May 19, 2006

The Ghost of pan-missionism

Walter Freytag used the phrase "ghost of pan-missionism" to describe the phenomena of calling all ministry missions. In fact, what is usually meant is evangelism, not missions. Earlier in our history we defined missions geographically or theologically. Theologically defined along the lines of van Ruler's argument that one must distinguish between a Westerner and a non-Westerner. van Ruler insisted that the Westerner has brushed against the idea of "God-in-Christ" for much of our history and this cannot be undone. Even a de-christianized European is not a pagan. Bosch says that he can never become pre-christian again, only post-Christian. But I am getting side-tracked . . .

If evangelism and mission are primarily understood as verbal proclaimation, then geographically and theologically they are indistinguishable. But if we look at the nature of the two, then perhaps we might/could agree with John Stott's ascertion that mission is a comprehensive concept, "embracing everything which God sends His people into the world to do". Evangelism on the other hand is less comprehensive and is actually a component of mission. Mission is then defined by Stott as "evangelism plus social action." I actually don't like Stott's phrase here, but missions is about crossing frontiers of geography, language, cultures and world views. In fact I agree with Bosch that evangelism is something more than merely a component of mission and mission is more than evangelism plus social action. Evangelism is an invitation to leave one life and embrace another, it is not merely the verbal proclaimation of objective truth (which in our modern world, does not exist anyway according to the masses).

BUT it involves more than verbal proclaimation of the Gospel. Remember when Jesus began His ministry in Nazareth he quoted Isaiah and outlined what He came to do: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has annointed me, he has sent me to announce good news to the poor, to proclaim release for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind; to let the broken victims go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." Now you gotta admit, there is a bit more there than verbal proclaimation! Evangelism is a dynamic expereince where the person receiving the gospel and the person who is sharing the gospel create a dynamic synergy that is evangelism. Of course the contents of evangelism will be different for one location over another, with one social situation versus another.

The Evangelical view of missions generally can be summed up in the GC in Matt. 28:19-20. It is given urgency by a conviction (in Evangelical circles) that people who have not heard the gospel will perish eternally. The problem here (and this is another subject all by itself!) is that, as Bosch correctly states, the gospel becomes primarily "a subject for belief" rather than "a way of life." It becomes a message which if accepted gives the person entrance into the Kingdom. I think we evangelicals have ventured out onto thin ice here. This view of missions/evangelism turns people into projects, and makes evangelism a magic wand religion where one can say the magic words and the door opens (wasn't that alli-baba?), and lets face it everyone wants to be saved from hell but few want to be saved from sin.

As I look at us evangelicals, it seems that we believe that we have been saved from hell, but weren't we also saved from materialism, me-ism, nationalism, selfishness, gluttony, lying, gossiping, hatred, and retirement planning? It seems that I want fire insurance far more than I want the rest of the package. What ever happened to the idea that salvation was a life?

2 comments:

Chris Howard said...

Man...you talk like a doctor, but I like what you're saying. Salvation isn't just a one time event, like, I was drowning and someone saved me. I'm always drowning in myself, my wants, my desires, my attitudes, my concerns, my world, my things, my family, my, my, my... I need a Savior who will save me from me and change my allegiance from "I pledge allegiance to me" to I give You (Jesus, my King) my life...do with me what You will. I owe you everything.

Like I've heard it said, "Roll that up and smoke over it for a while..."

Mark said...

The kingdom & salvation is already but not yet, not fully realized. But all the values of the King should be strongly reflected in the actual lives of his people. Preach it Dr. D!