Sunday, April 30, 2006

What does Heaven smell like?

This afternoon I was mudding along on my Carrera up the mountain in the spring rain (after church and a great lunch with the AoG missionaries here in Skopje at a local dive known as Lutsz), and the SMELL was heavenly, like totally intoxicating. Everything is in bloom and turning green and I have never had such a sweaty ride that smelled so good. And I was praying as I usually do up on the mountain, because I can see most of the city from up there and the thought that these 1 million people are eternally lost drives even an old salty dog like me to prayer. And while praying the thought suddenly grabbed me that heaven must smell like this! That was a rocking thought.

This is not a usual smell for my part of the world, and even this trip had its moments when garbage smells ruled the moment and sewer smells intruded, and please, let us not forget the farm smells that overpowered us at moments, but those smells only made the heavenly smells of Spring even better. The mud did not bother me, the rain did not bother me nor did the occasionally smelly smell bother me . . . the smells of heaven were all around me and I enjoyed God.

2 comments:

Gregg said...

I've always thought heaven might smell kind of like Cinnabon.
Thanks for sharing your insights. Your experiences and thoughts are quite interesting.

greggsweger.blogspot.com

Beth said...

A perfect post for May Day